6| first day of the academy! pt.2

MITSUHIRO TADASHI P.O.V

"It is an honor, to be delivering the opening ceremonial speech to those who are gathered before me today." A third-year stood on the stage, behind an elegant pedestal that enriched the charisma that bounded off him in waves.

Prince Kitamura, crown prince of the Kingdom of Elysia. Older brother of the bastard who called me a dog a few minutes ago.

God knows what took him so long to appear and get this over with, but with his arrival the crowd of first-years and the professors were finally placated. As if his late appearance was never a thing, I could see the students around me hang onto every word that dripped out off his mouth.

I yawned to myself, zoning out of whatever speech he decided to so graciously present to us for this morning.

I would rather be exploring the grounds with Mari and studying the outline they distributed to us, but the opening ceremony must be attended by all first-years. We are then forced to listen to the speech of the strongest magical user among the third-years.

This tradition has been set since this academy was created, and even if it is just a formality, your record will take a blow if you decide to skip the occasion. No one is exempt from this rule, unless you have a really convincing reason why you wanted to be absent.

Looking around me yet again, it appears to me that my fellow first-years have already forgotten their impatience they had with him at the start.

Prior to the prince's late arrival, I wasn't the only one complaining. Everyone else had the same question in their heads, why were they forced to wait any longer for a man who doesn't respect the appointed schedule?

It was incredibly rude to the rules of nobleman etiquette, and set an extremely bad impression to those who waited. If you were to be a role model, it is not the best idea to keep your audience impatient.

There was a shared annoyance in the air as the tension thickened the longer our beloved crown prince continued to be absent.

But just like magic, everyone's grievance disappeared in thin air the moment Prince Kitamura stepped onto the stage.

Unlike the fourth prince, his ash grey hair was cut a tad bit shorter and styled more neatly to frame the sharp jawline that blessed his face. Those intense eyes were of molten gold, a charming color that reflected the riches this kingdom holds in bounds. 

He commanded the attention of the room with startling ease, in every motion of his hand held an inherent charm that was most probably drilled into him when he was younger. But, this elegance was not gaudy or unnatural at all. He was a natural-born leader, a noble that could spark the love and admiration from the masses.

A quality I would say that I do envy, but who could compete with royalty in the first place? The first-born was trained to step into the King's path, not something anyone can do. 

I admit that it was not right for me to gossip behind a person's backs (no matter how privileged they are), but I still had no clue why Meguro singled me out. Among all the other people that held complaints, I was unlucky enough to get my loud mouth caught in the act.

Not that I'll ever admit to agreeing to the insult Mari assigned to me when I was younger, it's just that we were assigned a seat that was unfortunately near Prince Kitamura's younger brother.

"The pride of our glorious kingdom starts with all of you, the youth of today..."

In comparison to most academies, the one I attend had a more pro-student approach to the power of hierarchy.