Chapter Four

DARREN HAD FREQUENTED PARTIES AS often as he had been at American football games: once

DARREN HAD FREQUENTED PARTIES AS often as he had been at American football games: once. Back in Scotland, his friend Colin had thrown a surprise Darren-is-going-to-America party and he'd invited a bunch of people Darren had only met in passing. One of those people had taken Goldie, Colin's goldfish, out of his fishbowl and put it on the grill. Darren had spent the rest of the cold night outside, comforting his friend for his loss, until another party-goer came up to them and had asked Colin if he was attached to the blue-white expensive-looking vase. Someone had used it as a puking bowl.

So, to say Darren didn't have the best experience with parties was an understatement, and after that terrible night that was supposed to be his night, he vowed to never go to a party again. He'd already broken this vow before the summer was over, because he found himself being guided into the home of a stranger by Liam where it was dark and crowded.

Laser-type lighting moved around the room in a dazzling way and loud music burst out of the speakers. Liam had just been telling Darren who the host of the party was, but his voice got lost in the noise and Darren just saw his mouth moving with no words coming out. The tall guy seemed to realize this too, and he just laid his hand on Darren's shoulder to guide him into the living room without saying any more.

He walked up to a group of guys and bro-hugged them. Darren just stood behind him, watching it all happen. The lighting in the room really did Liam good: it highlighted his strong facial structure and in the tight shirt he was wearing, all muscles were defined. At the same time, he looked like he'd put zero effort into his look. He wore a simple white t-shirt and black jeans, but it complemented his dark skin tone and gave him a cool look in a way that would never work on Darren.

"This is Darren," Liam yelled over the music to his friends.

The mention of his name brought Darren back to reality. He waved to the group, thinking he wasn't on the bro-hug level with them yet.

"Darren, this is Logan, Micah, Joshua–"

"Josh," the guy corrected.

"–and Kayla, my girlfriend," Liam finished. "She off-limits."

Only then did Darren notice the girl in the group. Liam wrapped his arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer to him with a smile that she returned.

"Don't kiss, please," a guy on Darren's left said. If he remembered correctly, this would be Logan.

As if to punish him, Liam leaned in and kissed her, and the couple went even further because the girl rested horizontally in Liam's arms as he bowed over her, their lips never coming apart until he lifted her up again.

"Did I end up in a rom-com?" Logan sighed. "I'm getting a beer, anyone else?"

Joshua and Micah accepted the offer.

"I've to drive," Liam said.

"I have to stay sober so I can make sure he doesn't drink because he has to drive," was Kayla's excuse.