Chapter Sixteen

A LITTLE OVER A WEEK went by, but when Superhero Day was finally there, Darren was indeed putting on a Spider Man costume in the morning

A LITTLE OVER A WEEK went by, but when Superhero Day was finally there, Darren was indeed putting on a Spider Man costume in the morning. The bright red and blue color palette in combination with the tight, strange-feeling fabric made Darren feel uncomfortable, but Aimee had convinced him that not wearing a costume to dress-up day would make him stand out even more, so he wore it anyway.

However, he did not leave for school before he had done some research on the story of Spider Man, who, before he became Spider Man, was just a boy named Peter Parker. Darren found Peter was an orphan, raised by his uncle and aunt. While Dakota was less likely to be bitten by a radioactive spider and get superpowers, the story made him think of her. He hadn't spoken to her much lately, and when he had, it was short. After the date at the bowling alley that was supposed to make up for the not-date she'd not shown up to, it seemed like she had actually forgotten about him. Marley said this was the Bennett-effect: when Dakota and Bennett were together, they spent every second of the day together, and she would not pay much attention to the rest of the world.

"Until they break up again, at least," Marley had added. As if she was certain it would happen again.

With this warning in mind, Darren didn't have high expectations when it came to Dakota, even though he wished he could see her more often. To his surprise, this wish came true on Superhero Day.

"Spider Man?" a voice behind him said when he was standing at his locker. "A classic, nice."

He immediately recognized the sweet, light voice, so he turned around. "Hi, Dakota," he said, feeling warmth rise to his cheeks. "Thank you. Liam picked it for me." He took a quick glance at her outfit, but it didn't stand out as much. She wasn't dressed as a superhero he'd recognize – actually, she didn't look like a superhero at all. Her outfit was what other people would wear as business attire daily, and it wasn't Dakota's usual style of clothing.

Dakota raised her brows at the mention of Liam. "Right, how is he?" she asked.

Darren thought for a second. "He said his wrist is getting better and that his ribs hurt less when he's sitting up straight, but his knee is still killing him."

"Is he any closer to walking?"

He shook his head. "No. They are trying to teach him how to get around in a wheelchair, but he can't get in and out himself."

She pressed her lips together into a straight line. "Bummer."

"He's getting out though," Darren said. "Out of the hospital, I mean. Ada will help him around the house, and he'll have walking therapy multiple times a week, but he'll be home."

Dakota's eyes glimmered. "That's great." She leaned against the lockers casually and smiled.

"But what are you dressed as?" Darren asked her, taking a good look at her outfit. She had her hair in a ponytail and was wearing glasses with a black rim, a plain blouse and jeans – an outfit very unlike Dakota. It wasn't form-fitting. Instead, it was too sophisticated for her style, and the glasses gave the cool girl a nerdy look.