Chapter 6

I didn't stop running until the village formed greying shapes on the horizon behind me. Every so often, I looked back to see if anyone had followed me or worse, someone had decided to ring the police.

I was glad of the long walk back because it gave me time to clear my head. From my understanding, Burnley Manor should not exist anymore and in a few people's minds, it didn't. But Rich himself had said he had been there when he was younger. I stopped myself thinking, it only made my head throb.

The clip-clopping of hooves on the road ahead brought me round and with the veil of mist, I heard the horse approaching long before I saw it. Though the knight mounted upon its back took me rather by surprise. A tunic of deepest red covered the silver of his chest plate. A stonewall ran alongside the road that the horse and rider now trotted down. To be courteous, I jumped out of the way, deciding to walk on the grass verge between the road and the wall. But the large chestnut mare came to a halt right next to me. Exhuming great effort, the mysterious rider dismounted.

My pace quickened, and tension tightened across my back and shoulders.

"My lady," came a muffled yell. The silver-clad knight stood facing me.

"Are you talking to me?" I asked, looking to see if anyone else was around.

A gust of wind blew bringing with it a stench of smoke and burning wood. It contaminated the air, turning my stomach.

"Of course my lady, whom else shall I be addressing?" The knight removed his helmet and with his gloved hand swiped raven-black hair from his eyes. The face was young but the manner of how he presented himself, his stance and his speech was of someone much older. "My Lord of Montagu, he is the reason I come before you on this day. But do not misunderstand me my lady, he is a proud man whose honour and courage surpass that of anyone else I know but he must speak with you urgently."

"I'm sorry, you must be mistaken. I do not know the Lord of whatever you're on about. Wait, are you part of a re-enactment thing? Do I need to do something?"

"My lady, are you quite well? My Lord John had mentioned the approaching battle had put you out of sorts, but I fear I find you worse than I had anticipated."

"Look... wait, did you say John? As in John who was lying on the road last night?"

"I am not sure of what you speak, my lady. But I serve John Neville, Marquis of Montagu. You must not fear, he has spoken of your mutual regard and he could not have communicated to a more trustworthy man. I shall serve my good master loyally till my death and his secrets shall be as if they were mine."

"Our mutual regard? And you want me to go with you to John? Is he all right?"

He sighed. "In a bad way I do confess, my lady, but why do we tarry when your love needs you so?" The horse scraped the ground with its hoof.

"You're not making any sense. I really do think you have the wrong person. What do you want from me? Henry told me that if I followed this road..."

"Henry? Henry Farthing? Is he near?"

"I don't know now, I left him quite a while ago. Do you know him?"

"Of him my lady, I know of him. His reputation precedes him and if he is near then... Come," he declared. "We must go for if Lord Farthing catches you with me then there will be hell to pay." He brought the horse around swiftly and guided me with him until the surging mist swallowed us.

The mild warmness of the day evaporated, and a chill set in. I tugged the sleeves down of the grey material of my jacket to cover my hands clenching them to keep them in place.