Chapter 15

I slept for a few hours at most. Then, in the early hours, distant shouts and cries echoed across the land. Booms of cannon fire shook the windows. I didn't go back to sleep. Instead, I wrapped myself in the covers, which I pulled off the bed and huddled myself on the window seat.

My head pressed firmly against the glass pane. I allowed the cold to soothe my burning face. I didn't know how long I'd been there for. All I knew was that I had been there long enough to see the magnificent sparkling rays of sunlight break down the black cover of night and attempt to penetrate the barrier of mist.

Staying awake did nothing to calm my unease. With every agonised cry, I kept seeing John's body fall to the ground as it had done so many times in my dreams. Closing my eyes didn't make the image go either, it stayed as though it was scratched deep into the very fabric of my mind.

A few hours after the sun had awoken, the mist evaporated and for the first time, views from Burnley were clear. Green fields rolled into the distance for miles. I wondered where the battlefield was, but Hadley Wood could obscure it.

There was a quiet knock at the door, the latch lifted, and Phoebe came in. A weak clip struggled to hold back the mass of red hair.

"I had a strange feeling you'd be up," she said.

"I've been up for hours," I said. "Is the battle over?"

"Yes. Meg is rushed off her feet, the house is filling up with the wounded. There's blood everywhere."

I grimaced. "Have you noticed the mist has gone? Just like that."

"I did. But now it's gone I sort of miss it. Budge up then."

I moved so that Phoebe could climb onto the window seat opposite me. She dragged the duvet on top of herself and snuggled down.

"How are you feeling?" she asked.

"I'm fine."

"You're a liar," she laughed. "If you break the curse, then he might come back for you. You never know what will happen."

"If I break the curse," I sighed.

Suddenly, Phoebe's mood changed. "Listen, I wanted you to know you're the best friend I've ever had." Tears formed in her eyes. "And I will never ever have a friend as good as you have been."

"You're my best friend too." I noticed she was biting her lips hard. I knew why, she would hate for anyone to see her cry.

She wiped away a tear with the back of her hand. "I just wanted to make sure you knew and also that I believe in you. I know you can do this, and all this weirdness won't be for much longer, I promise."

"There's a lot of faith being stored in me. What if I'm not up to it? What if I can't break the curse? Then what?"

Her eyes were large and soft. "I honestly don't know."

Nell appeared in the doorway. "Come on Phoebe, it's time to go." She still looked shocking.

I sat bolt upright. "Where are you going?"

"Nell, can you just give us a few more minutes?"

Nell hovered, a look crossed her face.

"Please?" begged Phoebe.

"Fine," said Nell. "You have five minutes and then you need to be downstairs."

I stared at Phoebe. I could see her bottom lip shaking. "Tell me what's happening."

"Nell and I have to leave. The battle is over, and we can't stay here anymore. We don't belong. I'm sorry, I don't want to leave you, but we have no choice. Eleanor is staying here, so if you need anything, anything at all then just go to her."