Introduction

(Uptown Girl by Billy Joel plays in the distance).

The simplest place to start with any story would be with an introduction, would it not? However, seeing as I am myself and not in fact you, it would be rather strange for me to try and do that. I can, however, fill you in on the story thus far...

Your name is... your name. I do not know it, so if you ever see (y/n) in the story, feel free to put your own in. This is an adventure about you, after all.

Anyways, you're 16 years old and an exchange student in Japan. Being the big nerd that you are, ever since you heard the idea of doing an exchange year, you were all aboard, choo choo. It was a long fought battle to convince your family to allow it, but seeing how excited and committed you were to your goals, they shipped you off, prime delivery and all.

It definitely helped that you had been teaching yourself Japanese since middle school. Like I said, you're a big nerd.

Something you should know about yourself is that you are completely unremarkable. No magic powers for you unfortunately. Well, at least for now, we'll see. Right now, you're in a taxi headed for Morioh, where your hosts, the Inoue family, were waiting. You were somewhat sad that you weren't going to be in a big city, experiencing the nightlife of Tokyo and going to host clubs, but it was kind of a relief. Being in Japan was already a big change, staying in a quiet and uneventful town might be just what you need to settle in.

So, that's about all you need to know I guess. All that there's left to do is see how things unfold. I hope you enjoy the ride, and I'm sorry if it's a slow read.

In a taxi, on a bumpy road in Japan, a 16 year old girl sits staring out the window, watching fields and cable towers go by to the tune of tire treads and the distant scent of the sea. Regardless of what the future had in store, you knew that 1999 would be a year you'd never forget.