Chapter Eleven

I sprang up from the floor, turning into my Sandorian form as I did so. Before any of them had a chance to react, I had T'Pel's disrupter out of its holster and up to his head, my arm wrapped around his neck. I dragged him back a few steps, until I was standing with my back against the wall.

By the time I was in position, the others in the room were beginning to notice something was wrong.

"If anyone moves, I'll kill him," I said loudly, digging the blaster into his temple as I said it. "Everyone put their hands behind their heads." As they looked around in confusion, I shouted, "Do it! Or I'll blast a hole in his head that you won't be able to fix."

"Do as she says," T'Pel echoed. I didn't detect fear in his voice, and I didn't know why. No doubt he had been trained not to show emotion. I tightened my grip around his neck, preventing him from moving.

Slowly the others in the room obeyed, interlocking their fingers behind their heads. I turned to the single security officer left in the room.

"Take your blaster out and place it on the ground. Now!"

He did so, picking the blaster up with two fingers and carefully setting it on the ground.

"Kick it away."

He did, sending it flying across the floor and toward me.

"Now," I continued, "everyone slowly back toward the door and get out. If anyone tries to rescue the Commander, I'll kill him. If anyone tries to hurt me, I'll kill him. Is that clear? I said, is that clear?!" There was a general murmur of affirmation. "Good. Now go."

Slowly, the five men backed toward the door, exiting one by one. When the last had exited, the door closed behind them. I turned my attention to T'Pel.

"I'm going to let you go, but if you move a muscle, I'll kill you. Understand?"

"Yes."

I slowly released him, pushing him away from me as I did. I leveled the blaster at him as he straightened and turned toward me.

"You're not going to get away with this," he said.

"Shut up," I said. I gestured with the blaster, and he moved out of my way. Always facing him, I made my way across the room and to the other blaster.

"Captain Valerie is going to send more officers, and they are going to kill you. You won't be able to get away."

"I don't intend to try," I said, reaching the blaster.

It happened faster than I could move. One minute, I was kneeling, reaching for the blaster, and the next I was flat on my back, grappling with T'Pel.

Flipping over and out from under him, I rose to my feet, ready to fight; I was too slow. T'Pel moved faster, standing up and raising his fist. He hit me hard , sending me flying down to the ground. I tried to stand, but T'Pel shoved the blaster in my face.

"Don't try," he said. I sank back down to the ground, raising my hand and gingerly feeling my lip. It was busted and I could feel the warm trickle of blood moving down my chin. I wiped it away.

T'Pel knelt and picked up the other blaster, putting in his belt holster while keeping the other trained on me. "Get up," he ordered.

I slowly stood. Then, darting to the side, I struck out, hitting his arm as hard as I could. He released the blaster, sending it clattering to the ground. He kicked it as hard as he could toward the end of the room. Before he had time to draw the other, I transformed, flying across the room as a Sandorian falcon. Hiding was overrated, I needed speed.