5: The Rescue

"The rescue is canceled," Dean firmly said.

"I agree. The risk is higher with twelve children," Jaice said as she wiped away tears.

"No. We can't give up," Mageia urged.

They all stared at her with eyes screaming at how crazy and foolish she sounded.

"Are yuh some god we don't know about?" Dean taunted. "Because I'd love to hear yer ideal plan on stealing twelve children from a building built to keep people in."

"We have a few hours left." Her heart began to pound against her ribcage. "And Trek has already done his part."

"The plan has changed," Dean said harshly.

Mageia stood her ground. "No. Faebrin, did you sketch out the new Taefo yet?"

"I did. I did. Plus, I scaled the forest side a few times again." He glanced at Dean guiltily.

"Good. Let's look over it and readjust the rescue plan."

"You've gone mad," Dean said, eyes blinking at her as if trying to see if she was herself.

She glared at the boy, hating his constant need to belittle her authority and mentality in front of the others.

"Dean. We need to talk. In private. Now!" she ordered and stormed to her hut without looking back.

She paced the grass, wishing to punch something or someone. When Dean stepped into the clearing, she lashed at the boy.

"What happened to you, Dean?"

"What're yuh talking about?"

"You used to be on fire for these rescues and defying the impossible, but now ... now you just make me look stupid in front of everyone."

Dean flexed his jaw and gave a long sigh. "I've grown wiser, I assume."

Mageia gawked in disbelief. "And I haven't?"

"It's not like that."

"What? Did you lose your heart along the way?"

"That's not fair, Geia." He shook his head. "I do not want to risk the family we have now."

"So, you're just going to allow those twelve children to die?"

"What if they're so sick that they aren't transportable? What then? We don't have twelve backs to carry 'em out." He pointed out, and when she had no decent response, he continued. "I doubt the gods would be pleased to leave them behind while we take the others."

"We will have to chance it," she said. "I believe in my heart that everything will be fine if we plan well. Dean, we must encourage the others to be brave and, yes, be smart about it, but also willing to risk their own life to save another. To at least try to save another's. I know we cannot save every Strange in the damn kingdom, but there is this feeling deep in my soul telling me we shouldn't turn our backs on these children."

For a minute, her best friend stared at her until his hardened expression softened. He tsked a few times in his internal struggle to stay reasonable.

"Dean? We have to do this. We have to at least try. They're only children," Mageia pleaded.

Dean tsked again and combed a frustrated hand through his auburn hair. His cheeks darkened, and he shook his head. "Geia, I don't think this is a good idea, but," he sighed, "I hate it when yuh do this."

"Do what?"

"Mention yer heart and soul." He rubbed the back of his neck, something she knew he'd do whenever he felt nervous or anxious. "Yuh know I love yuh, right?"