Backpack

"Have a goodnight!" Shelia dropped me off at home. I waved 'bye' from my porch to Tom on his porch. I was exhausted. I opened my bag, but couldn't find my keys. I began to panic. I called Sheila and asked to check her car. She said the keys weren't there and I panicked even more. I told her I was going to re-check my backpack and call her back. As I checked my backpack, I realized that my backpack wasn't really my backpack after all. I unravel the towel and see that on the tag it says "Corb." Oh-

     I call Corbyn and he picks up almost instantly. "Hey, are you already home?" I can't hide the nervousness in my voice. "Yeah- uh, I couldn't find my keys, and so I re-checked my backpack, and apparently I have your backpack." I hear Corbyn speak in a surprised and slightly worried voice. "Oh- Really? Send me your address and I'll be there in a bit- Are you alone outside?" "Yeah, but it's okay because I can just scream and Tom will come out, since we're neighbors." Corbyn seemed to only hear the word 'yeah' and instantly replied; "Go into Tom's house then, don't stay outside in the dark." He said he'd arrive in a few minutes and hung up. I walked up to Tom's doorstep and knocked on the door. He opened the door and asked what I was doing outside. I lowered my head in embarrassment. "I accidentally took Corbyn's bag instead of mine- but he's coming to switch bags in a few." Tom snorts and mimics a high pitched voice. "Accidentally."

      "It totally was accidental!" I protested. Tom shook his head while still laughing, and let me in. After a few minutes of Tom making fun of me and blabbering about how I switched bags with Corbyn 'on purpose', we hear a car pull up outside and soon after, a knock at the door. Tom opens the door and says it's Corbyn. I walk out with him and we wave 'bye' to Tom. We head towards my doorstep and switch bags. We giggle at the misunderstanding and I just can't stop smiling like an idiot.

     "I'm not leaving until you make sure your keys are in there." My face heats up again and I look in my bag. I spot my keys and slowly pull them out. I wave them around making a jingling noise and quickly hide them behind my back. I make an 'o' expression with my mouth and speak in a surprised tone. "Oh no, I can't find them! I guess that means you've got to stay a bit longer." Corbyn chuckles and steps towards me. I can literally feel his body warmth. He leans in closer to my face, lifts an arm, and slides it around my waist. He uses the hand around me to grab the keys from my hand. He steps back while jingling the keys and smiling childishly.

     I feel my face heat up for the 10th time today and act surprised again, while taking the keys into my hands. "Woah, how did you find my keys?!" Corbyn smiled and leaned into my face once again. "Like this." Our faces were inches apart. I could practically hear his breathing. I surprised Corbyn as much as I surprised myself by quickly leaning in and pecking his lips. I giggled and quickly opened my door. Just as I was about to step inside, I feel his arms spin me around by the waist and pull me close to him. "I thought I was the one who found your keys?" We were so close I felt his chest vibrate as he spoke. "You did, and I thanked you." I smiled cheekily. He thought for a second and replied; "I also technically found your backpack too, so where's the thank you?" I giggled and pecked his lips one more time. "There it is." He smiled and let go of me.

    He turned to leave and then quickly turned back around. "Also Aria, I wanted to thank you for finding my backpack as well..." He placed his hand on my cheek and leaned in. This wasn't a peck.

This was butterflies and explosions.

This was as intense as a sugar rush.

What felt like forever felt like it ended too fast and we pulled away. He pressed his forehead on mine. "Thank you Aria."