Part 3

I was right. Over the next few weeks, weird things began happening. Paul Lahote had snapped at one of his teachers and ran out in the middle of class. This was over a week ago and he had still not returned since. Most just brushed it off because he was already known around school for his hot-headed personality, but it was eerily similar to what happened a few months earlier with Jared Cameron. Rumors began spreading that Paul and Jared had joined a gang run by Sam Uley.

"Do you think they joined a cult?" I asked before class, digging through my locker.

"No way, they're just a bunch of hall monitors on steroids," Embry laughed.

"Guys, he's back," Quil said in a loud whisper. I turned just in time to see a tall figure turn the corner and walk down the hallway. Just like Jared, the boy had changed dramatically. He had grown taller and his muscles had become massive. His once messy dark brown hair was shaved short and a circular tribal tattoo peeked out under his skin-tight shirt on his left shoulder.

Following Paul was Jared, who had his arm around Kim's shoulders. They were both in a number of my classes, but never talked until a few days after Jared's "transformation". Now, they were inseparable.

"Woah, what steroids did Sam give him?" Embry commented. I whacked Embry's shoulder, knowing he had spoken too loudly. Just as I expected, Paul stopped in his tracks and turned to glare at Embry.

"What did you say?" Paul growled.

"Calm down, it was just a joke," I spoke up.

"A joke?" Paul barked, his large hands were balled into fists and he almost seemed like he was shaking. He whipped his head around to face me. When our eyes met, he froze in place, his eyes glazed over and his mouth fell open just slightly. His hands slowly opened, and he stopped shaking.

"Paul-" Jared removed his arm from around Kim and rushed over to his friend. "Sorry about him, he's just a little cranky. Didn't have his coffee," he joked, laughing to himself in a forced and uncomfortable way.

"You're Jacey Black right?" Kim asked. I nodded slowly. "It's nice meeting you," she smiled. Jared gave his friend a quick shove. Paul's lips curled into a small, awkward smile, before Jared and Kim turned to walk back down the hallway, pulling Paul with them.

"What's his problem?" Jake asked through clenched teeth just as the first period bell rang.

***

Paul's point of view

"Dude, did you just imprint?" Jared asked me in a loud whisper as he dragged me down the hallway.

"Get off of me," I growled, shrugging Jared's arm off of my shoulders. "I can walk by myself."

The day dragged on. Every time I let my mind wander; I would think about Jacey Black. When our eyes met earlier today, I felt myself drawn to her. I would be anything she wanted me to be, but she would forever be my reason for living, my gravity that bound me to this earth. There was something about her dark eyes, the slight curl at the end of her long, dark hair, her perfectly pink lips. I couldn't help but smile. Everything about her was perfect.

"You're doing it again," Jared sighed, elbowing me in the ribs. "Man, did I do this with Kim? This is getting creepy."

"Shut up," I growled. Jared rolled his eyes, before turning his attention back towards Kim, who was seated beside him. I looked back down at my half-eaten lunch, and let my eyes scan the cafeteria, until my eyes landed on Jacey. She was already looking at me. This is my chance. I got up from my seat and headed towards her table. However, as soon as her brother saw me walking over, he whispered to his friends and they all stood up, taking Jacey with them.

I felt my temper rise as I stormed out of the cafeteria. My whole body was shaking in anger. I found the nearest exit to the school, slamming the door behind me. I barely made it to the forest when I phased. I ran further into the forest, wanting to get away, but felt my inner wolf whine the farther I was away from my imprint.

"Paul, what happened?" I heard Sam's voice in my head. "You're supposed to be at school."

"He imprinted," I heard Jared answer for me. He must have followed and phased shortly after I did.

"On who?"

"Jacey Black, Billy's daughter."