prologue

this is really jumpy and I promise the rest of the book won't be like this I'm just kind of rushing through to get Nell to move to Forks

Eleanor Swan and her younger sister Bella had a complicated relationship. They first started drifting apart the first summer that Nell visited their father Charlie in Forks without Bella in tow. The relationship between the sisters grew even more strained when the oldest, tired of moving almost every year as their mother chased a boyfriend or fleeting dream, decided to live with their grandmother Midge. Twice daily phone calls dwindled to every few days, even once a week with a few scattered emails between the two. 

Nell planned to finish high school in Boston, still living with her grandmother, even though her sister decided to relocated to Forks to live with their father. The older girls heart always ached for the pine woods in the little dreary town with black sand beaches. Forks was her happy place, but she couldn't just pack up and leave in the middle of her junior year. At least she couldn't until she got a call from her mother. 

-

Nell was in the garden with her grandmother when she felt her cellphone vibrate in her pocket. Pulling off her dirt covered gloves and leaning back into the grass she pulled her phone out and raised an eyebrow when her mothers name was flashing across the small screen in her hand. 

"Mom?" Nell questioned. Her mother rarely called her without at least sending a text first. Hearing Renee's frantic voice on the other end did nothing to quell the anxiety that was bubbling up in her chest. The ringing in her ears intensified as she heard her mother mention Bella being in the hospital. Her heart thudded as her mother urged her to get on the next flight to Phoenix, where her sister was in the hospital. It didn't even occur to Nell that her sister shouldn't be in Phoenix, she should be in Forks. 

It felt like an eternity before Nell was able to step through the doors of the hospital where she could visit her sister. She had spoken to Charlie when he picked her up from the airport and he explained to Nell that Bella had gotten into a fight with her new boyfriend, Edward, when she decided to pack up in the middle of the night and leave Forks. Charlie had pleaded with her to at least wait until the morning but the younger girl had always been stubborn, and remained that way when she stormed out of the Swan house that night refusing to listen to any reason. 

Eleanor had sighed heavily when entering Bella's hospital room. Her sister was paler than she'd ever seen her before to the point that her skin carried a light blue tint. She was hooked up to countless machines that filled the room with a low hum. Nell quizzically studied the boy asleep in the corner of the room and figured it was the boyfriend that Charlie had mentioned. 

"You know, you didn't have to throw yourself down a flight of stairs just to get me to come visit" Nell joked, seeing her younger sister smirk at her remark. 

"only way I could get your attention" Bella mumbled, attempting to push herself up from her laying position on the bed. 

Resisting the urge to scold her younger sister Nell just shook her head and sat in the chair next to the bed. 

"I was talking to Dad," Nell started up again, a more serious tone in her voice that she assumed Bella caught on to as the younger girl tilted her head in question, as if silently urging the girl to continue. Nell sighed before continuing. 

"I'm going to move to Forks to stay with you guys." She concluded, raising a hand to slience her sister when she immediately started to protest. "Cmon Bells, I wanted to move back here anyways. Think of it as a bonus that I get to keep you and Dad sane for a little while." 

Bella relaxed back into the pillow knowing that there was no point in arguing with her sister as stubbornness was something that seemed to be hereditary in the Swan family.