Chapter 36

"I've worn out more soles than I care to count
Done more stupid things than most would dare to do
I've kicked myself more times than not
For the roads they led me down
But the damnedest thing I've ever seen them do
Is walking out on you"

When Amy awoke it was nearly midday because of her and Harry staying up until dawn. She knew right away he wasn't in bed because his arms weren't circled around her. She squints looking out the window at the sunshine pouring in. She stretches her arms up, yawning and stands up from bed and goes to use the bathroom. She walks into the kitchen after, expecting to see him and he isn't in there either. Strange, she thinks. Amy assumes he is out for a run like he does most mornings. She makes herself some tea and takes it with her into her studio. After last night, Amy is feeling quite inspired.

She gets lost in her painting, a smile on her face the entire time. Amy thinks about how amazing last night was. She was blown away by Harry admitting his feelings to her. He finally took down all his walls and fully opened up to her and the result was a magical night that she'll never forget.

She has completely lost track of time when she comes out of her studio and looks around her apartment for Harry.

"Harry," she calls his name.

She goes to check her phone that she left in the bedroom. She had been painting for more than two hours and still no Harry. She unlocks her phone and notices she has a new email. It's from Harry.

"Dear Amy,

I'm sorry.

I couldn't watch you throw away that incredible opportunity. You need to take that job and I can't hold you back.

You are the best person I have ever met. Leaving you was like leaving a limb behind. And maybe that's true. That part of me will always be yours. I think I've felt that way since you dropped me off at my hotel that first night. And, again, when you left me in LA and when you walked away from me at your apartment. That each time you took a little bit of me. It must be true because I've only ever felt whole when I'm with you.

I meant what I said. I love you Amy. That's why I want the best for you and I'm not it right now. I need to work on myself and then, if I'm lucky enough to see you again one day, I'll be the best thing for you like you were the best thing for me.

Love always,
Harry"

Amy is sobbing when she gets to the end. She can't believe he would leave. She looks frantically through her bedroom for Harry's things but can't find anything. All her drawers and closet are cleared of his clothes. She checks the bathroom and his stuff is gone from there too. The entire apartment seems wiped of any trace of him.

She goes to call him and realizes that she still doesn't have his number. They had laughed for the past month about keeping this thing going for as long as they can without ever exchanging numbers. Now that seems like a cruel joke. She goes to video call him on Instagram but he doesn't answer. Harry is already on a plane back to London. She drops to her knees on the hardwood floor and lets out a loud sob. She curls herself into a ball on the floor and stays like that. She isn't sure how long she lays like that. Could have been thirty minutes. It could have been hours. Time doesn't make sense anymore. Her phone ringing makes her jolt in surprise. She answers it quickly, her voice coming out hoarse and barely audible, hoping by some miracle that it's him.

"Harry?!"

"Amy? Are you okay?" Sarah asks.

"He left," Amy blubbers out.