Chapter 10

"I was just 13 years old when it happened. I was in my room, completing my homework when I heard screaming and arguing. I walked out of my room and followed the voice. The voices were coming from my father's study. I slowly peeked in, the door was ajar. It was then I saw a man take out his gun and fire three rounds, without any hesitation, looking right into my father's eyes as the bullets pierced his heart. I froze at the sight, unable to move.  I saw my father fall down, his blood pooling around his body staining the grey carpet. He stood there as my father's blood stained his shoes. He put his gun back and turned around, I saw him. I can never forget that face." He whispered, disclosing his dark past. He was not looking at me. His eyes staring at the wall behind me. I could see the anguish in his eyes as he remembered the gory details.

I looked at him aghast. I don't know what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't this. I can't even imagine what he must have felt at that moment, how scared he must have been. No thirteen year should witness such a gruesome site, hell no one should have the misfortune to witness this.

"Did he...?" I asked not being able to form coherent sentences. 

He looked at me as if just realising that I was there. Understanding the question in my eyes. "No he didn't see me. He would have killed me too if he did. As soon as he turned, I somehow knew that so I took off. I went to my room and hid in the closet. I was trembling in fear, I didn't know how long I was in there when the Police found me. I could have done something, anything but I didn't. I just stood there as I watched him murder my father brutally. I could have saved him. I...." He trailed off, his eyes wild as he stared into my eyes looking for something. 

I cupped his cheeks. "Shhhhh! You were just a child. There was nothing you could have done. He would have killed you too and you know that." I said gently. We stared at each other for I don't know how long. Nicholas was not a cold hearted, ruthless man. He was a man with a bloody past, a past that made him who he is today. He had seen his own parent being killed, yet he survived. He build himself to what he is today with his hardwork, passion and dedication. 

"Did Police find that man? Did he get the punishment that he deserved?" I asked breaking the silence. 

"No the Police couldn't pin my father's murder on him. He was a powerful man, he created a fake alibi placing him somewhere else at the time of my father's murder." His expression solemn, suddenly changing from anguish to determination. He looked like a man on a mission. "But I am going to give him what he deserves."

He didn't elaborate and I didn't ask him, not sure if I wanted to know what he meant by that. "Who is he?" I asked. 

He looked at me and sighed. "I am not ready to tell who he is yet." I nodded in understanding. 

"What was your father's name?" I asked changing the direction of the conversation.

"Andrew Lorde."  

The name seemed oddly familiar. I couldn't recall where I had heard it. 

"You know he was an amazing father and husband. He had such a large business empire to manage yet he found time for his family. He played soccer with me, taught me to cycle. He attended all my parent-teacher meetings," He said reminiscing with a small smile on his face.

"He sounds like an amazing man." I smiled at him.

"He was. He was everything that I could ever wish to be. He was my idol. I wanted to be like him when I grew up. However I turned out to be nothing like him. He would be disappointed in me if he were alive."

"He would be proud to have you has his son if he were alive. You are a survivor. You are an amazing man. You saved me, twice. You comforted me, you didn't have to but you did. If this doesn't tell how good you are then I don't know what will." I told him gently. 

He looked at me with foreign emotions swirling in his eyes. He pulled me by my waist and closed the distance between us. This kiss was different from the other. It was gentle but full, slower but heartfelt. We took our time exploring each other. His hands resting on my waist while mine around his neck, our lips moving passionately against each other. After what felt like hours, he pulled away from me. The kiss leaving me breathless. 

"Thank you." He whispered. I gave him a full blown smile. 

We were siting on the couch, his hands on my shoulders and my head resting on his chest when I remembered the real reason of the argument. 

"I didn't mean to eavesdrop but who was the she you were talking about in your office today?"

"She is just someone who is helping me."

"You said that she was falling for the plan. What did you mean by that?"

"She has connections to that man and is helping me get him."

"But..."

"You just have to know this much." I could see annoyance seeping into his voice. I sighed. I guess I was being too intrusive. 

"I hope you don't end up doing something that you will regret in the future. Revenge is like a black hole. It sucks you in." I warned him. 

"Don't worry! I am not doing anything illegal or dangerous."

"Illegal or not, emotions are a fragile thing. Promise me you won't hurt an innocent."

He was hesitant. I could see the nervousness in his eyes. He didn't say anything for what seemed like hours. 

"I Promise," He finally said.

****

If you enjoyed the chapter and want to see more then please Vote. Let me know what you think of this chapter.

SGnGigi