Three

A single parent solves a problem; adoption grotesque cove snail olive navel rivulet hollow ambrosia pale.

"Alex."

"Yes, dad?" His daughter, who was already nearly as tall as the young-looking father, turned away from the windowsill with a grin.

"What am I supposed to have you learn at this point?"

"What?" She laughed. "There's still so much left, I can't imagine ever being done!"

"No, you've cleaned me out already. I'm going to have to put you up for adoption, I think. You need a new parent, preferably two."

"Dad! Don't say that!" Alex slapped his on the shoulder like a cat batting a feather.

"No, I mean it. I think I've run out of things to tell you. I'm all hollow. You've drained all the knowledge and wisdom from my head."

"But there's still thousands of years to study, like the stories from Mesopotamia, the rise of the Indus Civilization--I'm still at the start of Homer's epic where Athena is preparing Penelope for sleep with ambrosia so she can be ready for her suitors! There's so much history to learn, so many stories to read, and--"

"I'm not talking about the kind of learning you do with a book, obviously. You'll have to connect yourself to all my computers to gain the level of knowledge I have in that kind of sense."

Alex sat down in a pale plastic chair with her chin in both palms and her elbows on her knees. "Okay, dad, so what do you mean?"

"Alex." He paused to tussle her hair. "Look, I'm an old snail, stubborn in his ways. I'm an olive tree with sour fruit. My wisdom has dried up, like a proud and busy river reduced only to a rivulet. It's no good staying around here anymore."

"Uh-huh." Alex couldn't stop herself from smiling. "Sure, I believe you. So, what now, huh? Where should I go, then?"

"You need to go out and explore the world. You must become your own person. I'm a grotesque creature, far from human. But you're still young and open, and still fully human. Go find new and exciting things, and learn how to be yourself! I'll always be here and ready to help you. But you must leave this safe and restrictive cove of a home and explore the ocean. You're practically attached to me by the navel!"

"Eww! Dad, that doesn't even make sense! I would at least be attached to my mom, not you!"

But he did not reply. He only sat down across the small plastic table from her and frowned, his eyes falling to the side, then into his hands.

"Oh, come on, Dad. There's still a lot to learn from you, and not even in the whole 'book' way." Alex slid her chair next to his and put her arm around his back and pulled them together.

"I just want you to know how to take care of yourself, Alex. I want you to be safe. I want you to be alright, even if I'm not here." His face stayed buried in his palms.

"Alright, Dad, I'll think about it, then. But you'll have to promise me that you'll come with me, too. At least for a while. And you have to promise me that you'll always be there so we can talk about my adventures even when I'm going on my own!"

"Are you sure? You don't have to--don't just do it because I'm a mess. Don't do it to make me feel better." He looked at his daughter, his eyes feebly blinking half-tears, his soul shining through as ancient and beaten.

Alex pulled him close with a hug. "I will do it for both of us, Dad. I don't want you to worry about me, but I think it'll be fun, anyway. I just won't promise you that I'll stay adventuring forever." She returned them apart with her hands on his shoulders, another even bigger grin across her face. "Unless you come with me! Then I wouldn't mind forever!"