Secrets

"Where have you been?"

I woke up to an empty bed, not unusual since Frank usually got up early to shower and make coffee, sometimes at his own apartment, sometimes at mine.

I layed in bed for a moment, listening to see if Frank was in my kitchen. I didn't hear any noise, and assumed he had gone to his own place.

Realising I really needed a shower, I got up out of bed and headed towards my small ensuite. I was looking forward to a hot shower and Frank's freshly made coffee when I was ready.

I heard a loud bang as I was washing my hair, it sounded close by, maybe next door? There wasn't any follow up noises so I assumed everything was okay.

I got ready for work at my data entry job, so put on a pencil skirt and blouse, and a simple pair of flats. The law firm was kind of fancy so I had to address accordingly.

As I walked out of my bedroom, I looked around and couldn't see Frank. That was a little strange, he is usually here. I checked my phone and realised I had to leave for work. I'll see him tonight anyway.

I locked my door and turned around to the sound of a door closing down the hall. Frank was leaving his apartment and he looked pissed. He had a yellow envelope in his hand and was rushing towards the stairs.

"Hey Frank where..." My question trailed off as I sensed his anger. "Woah, baby what's going on?"

Frank powered forward, seemingly not even noticing my existence.

"Frank what the hell?" I yelled down the stairs as he opened the door to the building. He stopped for a moment, staring forward, and walked out.

He didn't even look at me. What the fuck, I thought.

Three days went by and I hadn't seen or heard from Frank Castle. I was pissed, then worried, then really pissed. I tried to focus on work, and after he didn't reply to my second text asking if he was okay, I decided he just didn't want to see me anymore. I tried to stay pissed at the idea, but deep down I was extremely hurt. We had been seeing each other for a few months, we spent my 30th birthday together. He bought me flowers and cooked me dinner. I really felt something for this man and he just walked away like that, without a word.

Tonight I was helping at the diner for a few hours, it was Friday and it gets busy.

At 11:00 we closed the diner and I grabbed my stuff and walked home. I was 2 minutes away from my apartment building, starting to relax and feel happy that I was almost home, when I felt an arm grab me from an alleyway I was walking past. I felt myself pushed against the brick wall of an apartment building, and a hand cover my mouth.

A man, about 40 years old, smelling of beer had his face close to mine and pushed his knee between my legs. I whimpered in fright. I didn't even have time to defend myself. It happened so quick. He pulled his hand away from my mouth to kiss me and I screamed. He hit me, hard, and I saw black for a second as my eye socket screamed in pain. I lifted my head up and saw a smile and felt my body fill with pain as he punched me in the stomach. I doubled over as the wind was knocked out of me. I heard laughing and felt my shoulders get pulled up.

"Get up bitch"

I couldn't stand up. Everything hurt all I could feel was pain and fear.

I heard a guttural roar and hands left my shoulders. I collapsed onto the ground, feeling the ashfault burn my knees. I heard punching, pleading, a thud and then quiet.

I mustered my strength to get up, leaning against the brick, and tried to get away from whatever the fuck was happening.

"Emily!" A gravely voice called after me