Chapter Five: Scholarships and Slushies

HEIDI

"It all started in 1698 when Bartolomeo Cristofori believed that the volume level of the harpsichord was inadequate..." Professor Isenberg drawls on.

The history of the piano was today's topic, actually it's been the topic for the past month and a half we've been here.

Don't get me wrong. I totally love hearing about pianos back in the 1600s, no sarcasm intended, but I'd much rather learn the practical side of it.

I yawn, my eyes slowly starting to shut.

The Bachelor went on for four hours last night instead of one, since The Bachelor got dumped on live tv then proceeded to propose to the runner up who dumped a slushie on his head. Then the winner and runner up got engaged instead!

Jesus, it was a rollercoaster.

Zuko missed out big time.

Speaking of Zuko, he flaked on me last night and didn't respond to my calls or texts. I'm still very much pissed off.

I lean back in my seat and close my eyes. By the time I open them we might actually move to the 1700s-

Suddenly I'm jolted awake by something hitting my head.

"Ow what the-" I open my eyes to see the pencil rolling away and the whole classes' eyes on me.

"Miss Thompson is there a reason why you're ASLEEP IN MY CLASS?" Professor Isenberg shouts.

Did he just throw a pencil at me? Isn't that abuse?!

"I- I was just resting my eyes..." I sputter.

I usually don't chicken out when it comes to teachers but there's something about Professor Isenberg that makes me not want to get on his bad side.

"Is there something else you'd rather be learning about Miss Thompson?"

"Well..." I shift in my seat. The other students shake their heads at me, warning me not to make another comment.

But I'm an idiot and do it anyways.

"I was wondering when we'd actually... I don't know... play the piano?"

The class collectively gasp.

Shit, why did I say that! Heidi you dumbass!

"Not that there's anything wrong with the history of pianos!" I say digging myself into a deeper hole."

I continue. "I mean it can get a little tedious at times... but it's great! Actually forget I said anything, Mr Sir Professor Man..."

He stares at me blankly. Perhaps even amazed at how stupid I am.

"I for one love your classes, Professor. I guess some people just aren't intellectuals." Georgia Melrose smiles in my direction.

Bitch.

"2000 word essay on Bartolomeo Cristofori. My desk. 9am tomorrow."

He interrupts before I can say anything. "I don't tolerate tardiness or excuses, Miss Thompson."

"Got it." I say, shrinking in my seat.

Thankfully the bell rings, putting me out of my misery.

I quickly escape from the lecture theatre hiding my embarrassment from my classmates.

"That was brutal." A voice behind me says.

I turn around to see Georgia Melrose sporting a smile on her face.