Music Lessons

"Naia, you have to focus, it takes time to learn!" Kylan grabbed for the lute before Naia smashed it on the floor in a rage.
"Why am I doing this again?" She moaned.
"I saved your hide from crawler vines. And it's a useful skill." Kylan answered, grinning.
"Oh yes, I'm sure the Skeksis are extra sensitive to my off-key plucking of Jarra Jen's last stand." Naia rolled her stormy grey eyes.
"Maybe they'll cover their ears in pain, giving you an opportunity to smash the damned lute over their heads." This earnt yet another eye roll from the Drenchen.
"Just teach me how to play." Kylan turned away with a cheeky grin.
"So after the introduction, you're going to wait a beat, then go into an A sharp..."
Naia's fingers were sprawled out uselessly over the strings.
"Oh, I can't do this." She shoved the lute aside, sitting back defiantly.
"Come on, Naia, you have to try!" Kylan cried.
"Ooh, are we luting?" Rian dropped down next to Naia. "I used to play, before my dad smashed it."
"He smashed it?! Why on Thra would he do that?" Naia smirked at Kylan's astonished face.
"He killed one of Kylan's babies." She muttered, chuckling.
"My Father wanted me to focus on training to be a soldier, and only training. No time for distractions." The Stonewood sighed.
"Well, do you still remember any songs?" Kylan pushed eagerly. He had never met another lute player before.
"Well, I think I remember The Call Of The Claw Mountains, but I'll be a little rough." Rian picked up the abandoned lute and raised his fingers. "Does it begin on a G or-"
"B, quavered." Kylan finished immediately.
"God, Kylan, let the boy finish!" Naia raised her eyebrows, looking slightly impressed. Rian grinned and began to strum on the strings, plucking out the mournful pattern of the song.
Kylan nodded his way through, the notes running over in his head. Everytime Rian's clumsy fingers missed a note or hit a string my accident, Kylan tried his hardest not to wince.
Talent as fine as his was hard to find, if he said so himself.
Rian set down the lute once he was finished.
"See, I said I was a bit rusty." Kylan shook his head.
"For someone who hasn't played in about five or six trine, it was fantastic. I don't think I could pick up a lute after that long and bust out a song like that." He said earnestly.
"I doubt you would ever set a lute down for that long, Kylan." Naia said. Rian laughed his strange little laugh.
"Your turn, Naia." He said, shoving the lute into her hands carefully. The Drenchen groaned, but obliged. Reluctantly.

Hours passed as Naia stumbled her way through the notes. No matter what Kylan tried, she would never understand.
"Right. I don't think you're ever going to get this." He said.
"Your faith in me is admirable." It was Kylan's turn to roll his eyes.
"Let's try firca. I have a Drenchen crafted one, which might be easier for you." He explained, rummaging around in his bag, until he pulled out an intricately carved firca, the symbol of the Drenchen gleaming with polish.
"That's pretty." Naia said. Kylan passed it to her, before pulling out his own firca.
"Okay, what kind of song do you want to learn?" He asked, settling into the grass.
"Uh... any Drenchen one?" She asked uncertainly.
"Alright. Put your finger on the first hole and blow." Naia raised it to her lips and blew, hard. A shrill scream erupted from the firca, sending flyers from their trees. Kylan's hands flew to his ears. "Softly, Naia, softly!"
Gurjin leaped over Kylan's head and smacked the instrument from his sister's hands.
"Are you trying to deafen us all?!" He cried.
"I'm learning to play, thank you very much." Naia said, grabbing it back.
"Do you not remember the time Mother tried to teach you to play?" Gurjin demanded. Naia grinned ruefully.
"Possibly." Kylan looked between the siblings.
"Naia, use the same amount of force you would for a whistle." He said, demonstrating with his own instrument.
Gurjon covered his ears again as Naia's firca let out another note. It was quieter, and much less painful. She grinned at Gurjin.
"Much better." Her brother said with a nod.

Naia picked up firca much faster than lute. Kylan lead her through the song, until she could quote it off by heart. She gathered quite an audience as her and Kylan finished the song. Brea, Rian, Gurjin and some Dousan children burst out with laughter.
"I did it!" Naia squealed, jumping up and down. "Oh, I did it I did it I did it!"
She through her arms around him, completely out of character with happiness. Kylan grinned at her.
"You did!" He said, laughing. "Now you just have to learn lute!"