Chapter 33: Wound Up Unwinding

"Well, I dropped enough money on that tattoo why not splurge a little more. Let's go have a nice dinner." I said studying Lola's face with admiration waiting for her reaction.

"Oh I know this really good upscale place that specializes in pasta and pizzas," Lola said enthusiastically, not missing a beat.

"Works for me, you gonna be able to get us there safely?" I asked, pointing out the bandage on the back of her arm.

She shrugged me off with a laugh and hoped into the driver's seat.

We decided that we would dine in our beach clothes because frankly, we didn't care so we headed straight there. It wasn't too far and we arrived just as the rush started to die down. As we walked in we attracted a lot of looks. The place was mainly composed of adults who were all well dressed. We were two teenagers who wore our beach clothes, Lola looked like she wasn't wearing pants for pete's sake. We smiled at each other and asked for a table.

We were seated promptly and were served by a funky fellow with a Mario style mustache. The funky fellow's name was Frank and he was very amicable and didn't seem to mind that we were young and underdressed. He went through the menu with us and recommended we try the 2 for $25 deal. After some browsing, we decided on an upscale take on buffalo chicken pizza and a parmesan garlic chicken pasta dish that was praised as a best seller.

We made small talk while we waited for the food, we were both so curious about each other's tattoos that all of our conversations seemed to slip back that way. Eventually, we just sat there looking at each other with huge smiles on our faces. It was a nice feeling. There are few people who you can just sit with and enjoy their presence without needing to speak. Lola had become one of those people.

The food came out a short while later and Frank introduced it with gusto that made us laugh, in turn making him laugh. The food was good, I hadn't had pizza in a long time and it was welcomed by my taste buds and belly. The pasta was superb as well, the creaminess of the white sauce mixed with the slight crunch of the grilled chicken was excellent. I was fortunate to continue my string of good luck when it came to Miami cuisine.

"I should have started a food blog for all of the meals I've had here. I don't think I've eaten a single bad meal." I said to Lola.

"What would you rate my parents' meal?" Lola inquired.

"12/10 easy, no questions asked. The best home-cooked meal in Miami." I said jokingly, avoiding the obvious trap.

We didn't talk much during the meal because we were too busy eating it but that's alright. The dimmed lighting and clink of our silverware on our plates was oddly comforting and we'd play a little footsie here and there to let each other know how much we enjoyed one another's company, even in silence.

Frank came back to check on us and asked if we wanted to indulge in dessert, seeing that our plates were cleaned. Lola had already scanned the menu and she ordered lemon zest cheesecake without a moment's hesitation. Not only was lemon my favorite flavor but cheesecake was easily my favorite dessert. I must have had a look on my face because after Frank left Lola looked at me inquisitively.

"What," she asked in a cute shy voice.

"Nothing, well actually it's something. Cheesecake is my favorite dessert and lemon is my favorite flavor. I'm starting to think you either did some heavy stalking or work as a part-time witch."

Her cheeks got red and she just shrugged softly not knowing exactly what to say. The moment was interrupted by Frank harmonica playing a high pitched tune as he dropped off the piece of cheesecake with an extra fork. We each grabbed a fork and within seconds the cheesecake was no more and the plate was wiped clean. I was tempted to lick it clean like I did as a kid whenever we had desert. Something is satisfying about getting every last drop of something. Savoring it for as long as possible and holding on to that last ounce of flavor.