08| chapter eight

friendship conveys a stranger intoa relative

friendship conveys
a stranger into
a relative

         – proverb

HUSSAM LEANED AGAINST A SOLID wood of a trunk, lips pursed in thought. Dense bushes and lofty oaks somewhat obscure the vast area. Despite the stillness of the land, the chirping of insects inspired the songs of the ravens. The low hiss of lurking snakes almost drowned the rustling of aged leaves.

His stallion stood just a few feet away, drinking his fill of the fresh river waters. The oppressive heat beckoned Hussam to remove his ghutra. His sandals came off next. Wordlessly, he rolled the sleeves of his tunic and knelt along the rocky banks. His lithe hands splashed his face with water, hoping the coolness would ebb his thoughts.

The brooding knight could not bear to hear another word of his would-be-bride. Vexed, he left the palace in haste and welcomed the silence of the tranquil creek. Village women made a spectacle of the news, sharing it among family and friends and hosting foolish repasts in his honor. Even the tribesmen avoided him, choosing instead to discuss the matter amongst themselves. Hussam was aware his knights knew of his plight, yet none dared to voice their views. It was only a matter of time before the rumors reached Aabid, whom he'd entrusted with his morning tasks.

        He did not need his friend to meddle in his affairs nor sway his mind.

        That morning, Hussam hoped to speak with Sheikh Ma'ruf but thought better of disappointing his dearest mother. She wished him to wed more than anything. He'd evaded their many conversations, where she would poke and prod, and he merely remained hushed, agreeing to disagree. He could see it in her eyes; they desired to pair him with a spouse. Yearned to see his future children. Despite his willingness to move heaven and earth for her, his resolve in marriage never wavered.

        Hussam doubted he would soften her will in his father's presence.

        Upon making wudu, he used his headdress as a makeshift mat and performed the dhuhr prayer. Even the sweet sounds of nature faded to background noise in the presence of his lord. Engrossed in worship, the flutter of morning swallows and lull of the churning canals quieted all around him. His mind went blank with rapture. The spirit of his maker stirred his soul to life, and all his tensions unknotted.