09| chapter nine

Anger against abrother is felt onthe flesh, not in the bone

Anger against a
brother is felt on
the flesh, not
in the bone

– proverb

RAZI SAT CROSS-LEGGED ON THE Persian carpet, sword by his side as he peered across the room at his sister. He had dreamt many nights of this very moment, returning home and seeing his beloved sisters, but Aisha wouldn't even look at him directly. Instead, she was facing away from him and hugged her legs to herself. He upset her and couldn't even blame her. In the deep gaze that seemed to look not outwards but inwards, there was an almost longing expression as he quietly regarded his beloved Ayoosh. Their mother adopted the affectionate moniker long before she passed, and Razi used it since. She offered a quaint smile that didn't quite touch her eyes. Despite his still thrumming anger, Razi felt her warm smile affect him.

        "You're angry with me," Razi said.

        "What makes you say that?"

        "You've said but two words to me, Ayoosh." Before Aisha could say anything, Razi implored, "You would tell me, right? If anything happened... if anyone touched you. I know you would tell me."

        Aisha sat there, stunned, for a few minutes. She went slack-jawed as Razi's eyes narrowed to suggestive slits awaiting her response. When the realization of his words set in, a frown twisted her face. He could not possibly be implying what she thought. Could he? Aisha hazarded a tentative, "You don't suspect that man was following me to hurt me? D-do you?"

        Or worse, of course. Razi kept that wicked thought to himself and dared not frighten her. Besides, the idea wasn't so far-fetched. No Qaysi man he'd ever come across was incapable of savagery. They seized countless slaves and murdered legends for less. Razi would trust a strand of hair on his head before placing trust in a Qaysi man—especially one of noble blood.

        But for Aisha's sake, he chose his words wisely. "What is a man to think?"

        "Well, he wasn't. I can assure you of that."

        "How are you so sure?"

        "Because I would let you kill him."

        A brief stretch occurred between the time her words registered, and Razi's chest swelled with pride as he regarded Aisha. Maybe too proud for her liking.

        "Still, you shouldn't have done that. Defying orders is no petty crime. What if they harmed you? What if—" Aisha shuddered at the idea. "I just got you back, Razi. I can't lose you."