𝖎𝖎. Old Friends

Kathryn keeps staring, and JJ doesn't move or say anything to stop her

Kathryn keeps staring, and JJ doesn't move or say anything to stop her. He just stares back. Seconds pass slowly, blue eyes in brown eyes, and she realises that she has to do something. Anything. Maybe shove him out of the way and run back to her uncle's house. Spill the drink in his face – he just saved her from Kelce, she knows that, but the molten lava in her body wants him gone.

Looking at him is like the past staring back at you, and taunting you. Like he knows everything she forgot. She hates it. She wants him to look away.

It doesn't help that she feels this sense of unnerving guilt. She left them behind. She's the one who vanished out of their lives. Somehow, it only fuels the fire.

She looks away, to John B, who just shoved Kelce out of the way. His eyes are wide open, lips parted in shock. She can see the ghost of concern on his face. She remembers that Henry told her his father was missing, lost at sea. Just like hers. She feels worse.

She has to get out. Sarah, who finally reaches her, sends her a look. "You're okay?"

She doesn't answer. Kathryn goes back to staring at JJ. "I'm not thirsty," she tells him, voice firm. She needs to get out of here.

JJ's smirk feels wrong, fake. It's almost grotesque, he doesn't even bother to hide his anger. Good, he should be angry. That way, he'll leave her alone.

He sticks his tongue in his cheek, as if he wants to hold the words back. "Why not? It's not like you talked yourself hoarse, is it? Haven't heard from you." His gaze hardens. "Haven't heard from you for years, actually."

Her stomach drops to her knees. He's doing it to hurt her. She knows it, he knows it, John B knows, a fucking bird would know it. Her mask crackles before she gets ahold of herself. It's not like she's going to cry, right here, right now. She doesn't even flinch, instead looking back into JJ's eyes, defiant. Somewhere in the back of his mind, he makes a mental note.

She has nothing to do with who she was.

She flashes him a picture perfect smile. "You know what, I was busy, actually."