Sayaka Killed On Nanami's Birthday

"What did Monokuma mean, second killing game of Hope's Peak?" she asked Kamukura-kun when the shock had worn off, twisting in her seat to peer into the kitchen where he was. Monokuma had cheerily informed them that the broadcast would begin at 8 AM tomorrow before signing off. Air had resumed, but she was definitely not in the mood to watch anime anymore. She'd sat there, numb, as Kamukura-kun nonchalantly got up to do the dishes. How were you supposed to react to something like this?

Chiaki couldn't get Kirigiri-gakuenchou's body out of her mind. She'd never seen anyone die right before her eyes. Yes, she'd seen people die in her video games and movies and anime, but those had all been fake. And it was easy to pretend this was fake too, just another TV show, but Kirigiri-gakuenchou had been a real person. Someone she'd seen on campus. And Monokuma's words, about killing games and the 78th class, were buzzing about her head like Bite Bugs.

Kamukura-kun put away the plate he was holding before he answered. "Shortly after I met her, Enoshima organized a killing game to show me despair. She brought me to the old school building, where she had summoned the student council. Using intimidation tactics and blackmail, she manipulated them into a mass slaughter. All but two perished in the initial conflict: one hid and faked falling into a coma, and was murdered by Enoshima's lover some time later. The other attempted to kill me with a chainsaw." He didn't elaborate on what happened after; he didn't need to.

She blurted out the first question that came to mind. "Are you okay?" And wow, that was stupid; obviously he was, or he wouldn't be standing in front of her.

He turned, raising an eyebrow marginally. "What a pointless inquiry. Except at the very end, my life was never in danger, and I knew nothing of and cared nothing for the other participants; their deaths had no emotional impact on me. There was no way for the experience to leave mental scars."

Cold as always, she thought with a wince. Rather than settling her down, his words had only agitated her further. Clutching her cane, she rose and joined him in the kitchen. Without looking he handed her a plate, and she moved to put it away, hoping keeping busy would alleviate the distinctly unpleasant feeling of ants crawling across her skin.

He continued, "The Steering Committee tried to cover the event up by claiming the council had been called overseas. But Enoshima used footage of my presence there to pin the blame on me, leaked it to the Reserve Course, and incited them into the Parade. She also used the footage to create her brainwashing video. The first killing game was, essentially, the linchpin for the greater tragedy."

"So...this killing game is going to be like that? Some kind of battle royale?"

"Doubtful. Enoshima is a fickle creature, and the first killing game was very swift. A longer, drawn-out one would carry her message of despair better. So she has likely modified it."

Chiaki gave voice to the faint, foolish hope fluttering inside her. "Is there any chance of them being rescued before it starts?"

"The Future Foundation will attempt one; however, the building was converted into a shelter. It is meant to survive outside attacks. Additionally, Enoshima has likely set up extra defensive measures. I calculate the odds of a rescue succeeding to be almost nil."

He paused, turning away from the sink to meet her gaze. "The question is, what will you do, Nanami? Should you watch this Killing Game, you will likely witness events you find emotionally distressing. From a medical standpoint, I do not recommend it, but I will leave the final decision up to you."

Her grip on the next plate tightened, and she stalled. "I...I think I have to watch it. If I need to stop, I will. But I have to know they'll be alright." Not knowing would be worse than knowing. And she could ask Kamukura-kun to just tell her what happened, but...well, he didn't exactly sugarcoat things.