Yukizome's Death Along With Brainwashing Video?!?!

She didn't sleep on the ride over. Chiaki was distantly aware that she should at least try to catch a quick nap, but her mind was buzzing too much. Instead, she busied herself looking over her equipment—camos, bulletproof vest, SIG Sauer pistol, ammunition, headset and mic...standard reserve military fare. She knew the main military had even more, helmets and rifles and wearing jet-black head to foot.

Not long into the flight, Hayami-sensei poked her head out from the cockpit, one hand clutching a hanging strap tightly. "There's an update on the situation." Her face was grim, a poor sign.

"Togami and those with him breached the building. While they explored, they triggered an explosion somehow, and now they and the entrance are buried under rubble. And we still don't know where any of the people from the meeting are."

They accepted the news with solemn nods. The helicopter forged on.

Sometime later, the island's harsh black cliffs came into view, solid shapes against the red sky. In contrast, the landing pad below was in stark definition, brightly lit to guide the helicopters in touchdown. Chiaki could see figures scurrying back and forth on it as they drew closer, and the collapsed tower. From this distance, they looked like ants swarming around fallen building blocks.

Their descent was smooth and uninterrupted. A short distance away, Chiaki saw that the second helicopter, carrying the other half of the seventh division's forces, had already landed, and Akagi-san was striding towards them. He had to yell to be heard over the loud whip of the rotorblades. "Listen up, everyone! There's a network jamming signal attacking the wi-fi. We can hack a way past it if we connect directly to the computer network. To the west there's a vessel traffic service tower, that's where we're going. Group A, we're setting up surveillance to watch for Remnant forces. Group B, you're combing the corporate building for clues. Everyone follow me!"

The collapsed building was surrounded by two thick, circular strips of pavements, connected by bridges. A single bridge led from the landing pad to the entrance like an inverse castle and moat. The two groups walked around the circumference of the inner ring, passing a few other buildings and people carrying equipment or stretchers.

When they set foot in the VTS tower, ten of the twenty therapists stayed on the first floor to make defenses. The other half, including Chiaki, followed the cyber department up. She split off from them at the elevator, looking mournfully at the stairs before bucking her shoulders and starting to climb.

She was the last to arrive, emerging from the stairwell to see everyone else setting up. The visual control room was circular, completely glass to watch the air and sea for incoming traffic. There was another stairwell, and when Chiaki explored it, she saw it led to another, smaller room, filled with computers and stacked atop this one like layers of a wedding cake. Two guards were already stationed inside, right by the entrance. She quickly went back down, helping to overturn tables and push consoles to create cover. When that was done, she took up her appointed position and stood guard.

It did not take her long to realize that sentry duty was boring. It varied between watching the radar, watching the horizon, watching the occupants, and watching the room's entrances. And that was it. Just watching and rotating positions every twenty minutes.

As time crawled by, the cyber department sent down reports. They hadn't found anything in the building, and suspected that the killing game was being held in a secret, nearby location, with a separate computer network. Without knowing where a mainframe to that network was, they couldn't connect directly, and thus couldn't do anything. Currently they were browsing Future Foundation files to see if they contained any clues. Other divisions reported they'd started rescuing a handful of people from the rubble. Chiaki held her breath every time a name was reported, but she heard no mention of Yukizome-sensei, or anyone at the meeting at all.