one

one; the unexpected

SHE WONDERED IF GREETING EVERY PERSON WITH OPEN ARMS WAS EASY FOR DEATH

SHE WONDERED IF GREETING EVERY PERSON WITH OPEN ARMS WAS EASY FOR DEATH. To witness loss and grief or more often relief constantly without pause. She wondered if Death was just another tortured soul, trapped under the cycles of the universe. Perhaps, it was all a punishment; to watch without words and simply accept. Maybe Death was just like everyone else – at the mercy of Life.

Jane let her thoughts run rampant as she stared down at the two gravestones. Her parents' gravestones. They had died seven years ago that day at the hands of Death Eaters months before the final battle had taken place at Hogwarts. She never blamed them, but having to take care of her four siblings when she was just barely seventeen had put a dent into the life she was supposed to live. The air nipped at her skin, painting her cheeks pink and drawing her out of her thoughts. The cigarette resting between her lips kept her warm as burning puffs of smoke filtered out from her mouth leaving a stinging sensation in her lungs with every breath.

"It's been like half an hour, Jane."

"She's grieving, Evan. Let her grieve. Don't be insensitive."

Jane let a smile briefly grace her face. Her eyes lifted to stare at her two best friends as they appeared in all their sheet-white, formless glory — Evan Frasier and Matilda McAllister. They were ghosts, and like they said they would when they were still alive, they 'haunted' her day by day.

"It's been years since they've died, Matt," Jane said. "I'm not grieving, just remembering. I'm not sad about it anymore. It just doesn't hurt to remember every once in a while."

There was something bittersweet in the way she spoke, but Evan and Matilda knew not to mention it, especially not today. They were both well aware of how Jane became when the anniversary of her parents' death arrived. September 1st was a beautiful day for many, but for Jane, it only held unfortunate memories.

Evan shrugged. "I suppose," he decided. His eyes followed Jane's fingers as she went to finally put her cigarette out. "I never did understand why you started smoking. You always hated the smell when I did it."

Jane scoffed. "That's because when you smoked, you were just barely sixteen. I have nothing against bad habits, but sixteen was a bit too young." She let the cigarette fall into her pocket once she was sure it had gone out.

"You wouldn't stop coughing. There's that, too. Sounded like a broken lawn mower," Matilda added, enjoying the way Jane smiled at her comment.

Evan rolled his eyes, but there was a hint of amusement on his face. "Whatever, you two are always ganging up on me. Anyways, I think it's time for us to return back to the castle."

"The Sorting Hat's probably finished with the First Years. I guess it's time for us to go," Matilda said.

Jane nodded. "Make sure Charlotte and Bennet don't get into too much trouble, alright?"

"No promises there," Evan said. "They are absolutely as bad as the Weasley twins were."

"Hopefully not. I don't think I can deal with any more letters from McGonagall. Well, visit when you can. You know where to find me," Jane said.

Matilda shot Jane a wistful look while Evan nodded. There was something about these type of goodbyes that always made the trio awkward even if it wasn't really goodbye. Jane watched as the two slowly faded from her view as they started on their way to the castle.

She knew they felt bad about always having to leave, but Jane understood; she always did. Her best friends were ghosts, and as much as she would have loved for them to be with her more often than they did, she knew they had other duties. Evan was the ghost of the Slytherin House, taking over for the Bloody Baron who had disappeared after the War. Rumors were that he had simply went on. Meanwhile, Matilda had become a negotiator for the creatures of the Forbidden Forest and those who dwelled on Hogwarts grounds after the War had taken its toll on many peaceful relationships between species and nations of creatures.

Taking a deep breath, Jane turned away from where her friends had been and started to walk out of the cemetery, towards Hogsmeade. The glow of the Hogwarts castle was just a distance away, and the quaint town had always felt so warm to her. So after the War, with her siblings, Jane moved from into a small cottage in Hogsmeade. It was much cheaper than London anyways. As she continued to walk, she noticed the dull light of the popular shop and a familiar figure standing outside.

"Hello, George," Jane said. "Busy day today?"

Jane had befriended George Weasley the day she had moved as he had already been well established with his store, Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. He had been kind enough to help her unpack and settle into Hogsmeade, and she couldn't remember him being so passive from when they attended school. But the War had changed everyone, even the brightest souls.

"Not as crazy as yesterday, but the store is always busy," he said with a soft smile. "I saw your light on. Someone visiting?"

Jane's eyes widened. "Not that I know of, but maybe William's back from Romania. He stops by every once in a while."

George nodded. "Well, if he is here, tell him to bring Charlie along next time too. It's been a while since I've seen him." She nodded. "Anyways, I should get ready to close up. See you another time, Jane."

Continuing on towards her cottage, Jane saw that her light was indeed on. It had been a couple months since William had visited. He had left for Romania almost as soon as he was of age. Training dragons under Charlie Weasley was no easy feat, but he always made time to stop by the cottage to check up on her. Jane wasn't expecting anything out of the ordinary, but she should have known better because when she opened her front door, the sight in front of her was enough to drain all the color from her face. It wasn't anything she would have thought in a million years.

Draco Malfoy, bloodied and beaten, laid sprawled out on her floor, just conscious enough to speak before passing out entirely.

"Help me."