four

four; the goodbye

SHE DECIDED SHE HATED MOONLIGHT

SHE DECIDED SHE HATED MOONLIGHT. It was an ever painful reminder that her friends were still dead because when moonlight hit their formless figures, Evan and Matilda seemed nothing more than just sheets of white with faces. Tonight was no different as Jane was seated just a distance away from the Black Lake. The grass was soft beneath her fingers, and she had just recounted the events of the past day.

Evan and Matilda, with flat expressions, stared at Jane expectantly and unamused. For a moment, it felt like she was living a life where her best friends were still alive and they were all just catching up. But reality came knocking when Evan, ever so bright, broke the silence.

"We left you for one day Jane, one day. You went home after the graveyard last night, and now you're telling us that not only have you met and saved Draco Malfoy – "

"Who has been missing for six years until now, at least," Matilda interjected.

" – but also that apparently Dumbledore's Army has turned into some sick cult hunting Slytherins like animals to torture and possibly kill. And now, you want to leave with him to go save a bunch of people. Everything about this sounds absolutely mad."

Jane sighed. "Yeah, okay. You're right. It does sound a bit crazy now that you've said it out loud."

"This is not just a bit crazy. Are you hearing yourself? It's very crazy and terribly dangerous," Evan all but yelled. Jane could see the guarded caution he wore on his face. Evan had always been so protective of her and Matilda, and it had not changed even in death. But this was different. This wasn't about just her. This was about others who were in danger – who needed to be let free and saved.

"Listen," Matilda started. "It's not that we don't believe you. It's that this is a lot to take in right now. We're talking about Draco Malfoy here. He was a Death Eater. He let them kill Dumbledore, and he's the sole reason they took over Hogwarts."

"We just don't want you getting hurt because right now, the situation's looking like that's all that's going to happen," Evan said.

"Plus, if Dumbledore's Army is rounding up Slytherins, why is it your job to get involved? There's so many other people that could figure out that problem like Harry Potter or Ron Weasley," Matilda pointed out.

Jane knew that they were looking out for her. They were her friends; that's what they were supposed to do, and that's what they've always done. She appreciated it and everything they did, but Draco wasn't who he was before. They didn't know the man she had witnessed and spoke to yesterday was nothing like the boy who had operated on fear all those years ago. They also didn't know that he had saved her when Hogwarts had been overrun. It wasn't that his actions were forgivable; it was that they were understandable.

Jane took a deep breath. "You guys have known me for over ten years now, which means that you both know that I'm not entirely reckless. You're worried for me, and I get that. Of course, I get that, but how much better would I be than all those killers if I just listened and let this all go? Evan – "

Evan turned around abruptly, getting up and leaving them without another word. He faded from sight, muttering under his breath with anger felt in waves. Matilda, still besides Jane, sighed.

"I know you're going to go no matter what we do. We were never able to stop you when you had your mind set on something before," Matilda said. "So stay safe, and let me know when you find them all. I'll try to talk to Professor McGonagall to figure something out."

Jane nodded. "Thanks, Matt. It means a lot. Really, it does."

"I'll try to talk everything out with Evan too," Matilda said with a small smile. "I should probably get going now, and I'm sure you need to head back to Hogsmeade – to Draco anyways. So, I guess this is goodbye for now."

"Yeah, I guess it is, but I'll be back before you can notice." Jane watched Matilda get up slowly, almost as if there was something she wanted to say to her but couldn't. "Matilda," Jane called out, her friend's attention turning back to her. "You're the glue that holds us together. I know it's hard, but you're never alone with us. We're your best friends. If you need someone to talk to, you know you can talk to – "

"It's nothing, really. Just... don't get caught in the crossfire, and stay safe. It's impossible to save everyone."

"I know. Don't worry. I'll be just fine."