First dance

(Alternate universe-ish: Connor never died, the Connor-project never happened.)

Evan's POV

When you are an introvert and have social anxiety, staying at home is the best thing ever. But, because there always have to be a but, sometimes the silence turns against you. So here I am in my apartment, dying of boredom... I listened at least a hundred podcasts this week, my Netflix is basically maxed out (only the horror movies are left but I'm not that desperate), I don't feel like reading and I even took care of my little plants today.

I shut down my phone and turned it on again. It's only 6:30PM... I opened facebook, even though I just closed it and there was nothing interesting on it. Surprise.

I shut the device down again and dropped it in my lap. Enough, I have to end this before I go insane.

'Zoe?' I called out.

She stuck her head out of her room. 'Hm?'

'I'm bored... Do you want to go out or something?'

'Wow...' She walked out, a towel wrapped around her body. Why does she keep doing that? 'You want to go out? And I don't even have to beg you? No, promises to let you have another house plant or go to the park for hours of walking?'

'Stop it,' I tried to interrupt but she didn't seem to care 'yes, you heard me right...' I let out an annoyed sigh' I am willing to go out for real, and this is probably the first and last time this year so don't waste it.' I placed my phone on the coffee table in front of me before standing up.

'Okay-okay. So? Where do you want to go?' She asked, eyes glowing from excitement. I really feel like she is way too enthusiastic... God, I hope I won't regret this.

'I don't know. You can choose.' As soon as the words left my mouth I wanted to take them back. I know exactly what was coming...

'Then we will go dancing! You know, my favourite place a few blocks away from here.'

'Zoe...'

'You said I could choose.' She said and stuck her tongue out.

'Huhh... I will need a drink for that...' I sighed. There was no point in protesting now.

'Deal. I will buy you something strong and then we can hit the dancefloor.' She raised her hands and twisted her hips as she stepped back to her room, shutting the door behind her.

I chuckled and went to my room. I dropped my body on the bed and stared at the ceiling. I started breathing in the way one of my friends taught me: 4 seconds in, 7 seconds hold, 8 seconds out. I knew I had almost nothing to be worried about, especially with Zoe next to me. Like, I don't know if it's because her brother or something else but that girl can fight. Both verbally and non-verbally. However, we all know that rationality is not really useful when it comes to anxiety. There's going to be people out there which is more than enough. To be honest I was freaking out a bit. My anxiety was not so bad as it was in high school but this is not a common cold or something you get rid of in a few weeks.

After a good twenty minutes of breathing exercise, I got up and picked out some clothes from my wardrobe. It took me like ten minutes to be all ready to go but I knew that Zoe will take at least fifteen minutes more.

I walked up to the chest of drawers before my window which was full of my plants. I had nothing to doo with them but sometimes just being near helps me to calm down.

'Are you ready?' I heard her say along with the creaking of my door.

'Yes.' I turned around to face her.