part thirty four

hannah's pov

"jj," i finally breathed out, afraid that my own voice was about to fail me. "jj it's- it's john b and sarah. th- they're here. i'm with them."

"wha-" his voice faltered. "hannah if this is some sort of joke-"

"jj," i choked out.

"what are you talking about? what do you mean you're with john b and sarah? are you on drugs? where are you? are you home?" the boy began to ramble off questions.

"i- they- they're in," i heaved, "my house."

"no," jj said flatly over the line.

"i- what?" i said.

"no," he spoke again, "you're- you're messing me with me."

"jj i'm-" and suddenly the other end of the line went flat. he had hung up and i just stared at the screen as it only showed his contact, not sure of what to do now. there was a discomfort in my chest, and a feeling in my brain like excess caffeine. one more meltdown and it think i might just absolutely lose it.

before the panic could settle in however my phone rang again, his name appearing on the screen.

"put them on the phone," he demanded before i even got the chance to speak. in my frozen state i let out a shaky breath and closed my weary eyes. i grasped the doorknob, the cold metal sending a shiver up my already quivering arm.

i met three pairs of eyes in the kitchen as i rounded the corner, all staring at me intently as i placed the phone on the counter and hit the speaker button.

"hannah are you-"

"jj," john b finally spoke up, "it's- it's john b."

"and sarah," the girl beside him squeaked out.

the other end of the line was silent and no one made any sorts of movement in the kitchen as time seemed to freeze in that moment. i didn't know how long we all sat their, motionless, looking at each other, before someone spoke.

"jj, uh are you.. are you still there?" john b muttered.

"hannah," jj said quietly. all of the heads in the room turned to me as my heart began to beat more forcefully and my mouth went dry.

"yeah," i hesitated.

"who-" he paused and i could hear his shaky breath over the phone, "is it just you and um.. them there?"

"a-and my dad," i said.

"am i on speaker?" he asked quietly.

"yes."

"can you give the phone to," he began, and i could hear him swallow over the line before he continued, "to uh.. john b."

i looked up at the brunette boy in front of me who mimicked the same worried look i knew was on my face. my quivering hand reached down to pick up the device as i pressed the button off of speaker and handed it to john b.

"jj," john be mumbled.

suddenly all that was heard over the phone was incoherent screaming and the boy stood up immediately from his seat and quickly moved to the office, closing the door behind him.

sarah excused herself from the table and followed john b into the office. the second she opened the closed door, john b's loud voice could clearly be heard from my spot on the stool. the girl shut the door behind her and the yelling was drowned out as i put my forehead down on the counter.

"sweetie," my dad's voice surprised me and i jumped slightly in my seat, forgetting he was there.

"not right now dad," i sighed.