Summer Rose

A small toddler ran though the house, waving a small piece of paper around. The toddler's dark red hair was tied up into cute little pony tails, her large silver eyes taking in the whole world. Chasing after the little girl was her mother, a young woman who looked like an elder version of the child in front of her. The two of them were laughing, enjoying their game of chase.

Finally, the mother, Summer, caught up to the child and scooped her up in her arms. The little girl laughed as Summer tickled her. Then the two of them calmed down and flopped onto the couch, giggles bursting from the little girl every few seconds. 

"Now can I see what you made me Ruby?" Summer asked the girl. Ruby, her daughter, handed her mom the piece of paper. Summer took it from the girl and looked at it.

It was a card, a mother's day card, handmade by Ruby. The art was especially good for a four year old. On the card was Ruby herself holding her mother's hand. Summer read the card's messy writing, "To my mommy, I want to be just like you one day! I love you! Happy mother's day!" 

"Sweetie, did you make this by yourself?" Summer asked, giving Ruby a kiss on the forehead and a hug. 

"Yang helped me with some of the spelling, but I came up with what to say!" The little girl said, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

"Well I'll be sure to thank Yang for helping you with this lovely card." Ruby smiled her toothy toddler smile. 

Suddenly, Ruby started jumping on the couch. "Can I have a cookie?" She asked. Summer laughed, cookies were Ruby's favorite food and she was always asking for one at random moments. 

"I don't have any cookies sweetie, I'm sorry." Ruby sat back down and pouted, but Summer was quick to come up with a solution.

"I tell you what. You go get your sister and the three of us will make cookies together. I'll even let you pour in the chocolate chips." Ruby jumped back up again, completely abandoning her pouty mood as she ran out of the room to get Yang. 

Summer headed into the kitchen to get things set up so that the three of them could bake. She tied up her shoulder length hair and started humming as she got out all the ingredients. As she set the flour on the counter, she heard the sound of two small people running through the house towards the kitchen. Ruby ran into the kitchen followed by her older sister, a blonde with bright violet eyes. 

The blonde, a seven year old named Yang, was technically not Summer's daughter. Her mother was Summer's husband, Taiyang's, first wife, Raven Branwen. But Raven had left Yang and Tai and now Summer was a part of the family. Even though she was not technically related to Yang, Summer saw her as her own daughter and loved her very much. Yang seemed to like Summer a lot, and they got along splendidly. 

"You ready to make the best cookies ever?" Summer asked the two young girls.

"Yeah!" the sisters shouted in unison. Summer took a moment to tie Yang's long hair up in a ponytail and then the three of them began to make cookies.

Ruby helped Summer pour the ingredients into the bowl, sneaking handfuls of chocolate chips whenever her mother was not looking. Yang was mixing the ingredients together, and Summer had to remind her to slow down a few times so that she didn't over mix the batter. 

Finally, the cookies went into the oven. Ruby and Yang insisted on sitting in front of it and watch the cookies bake. Yang got bored within the first five minutes of waiting and went outside to play. Summer sat next to Ruby, who was yawning while continuing to stare at the treats in the oven.

"Tired sweetie? It's been a long day and you've done a bunch of work." Summer scooped up the little girl and sat Ruby in her lap, letting her daughter sit there and watch the cookies. Within two minutes of her sitting there, the young cookie lover had passed out. 

From her seat on the floor, Summer heard the front door open and knew that her husband was home. He walked into the kitchen and was surprised to see his wife and child sitting on the floor.

"Hi honey. Ruby, Yang and I are baking cookies," Summer explained. Taiyang nodded, understanding what had happened. He sat down next to her. 

"Enjoying Mother's Day?" He asked.

"More than anything. I love our daughters." Tai wrapped his arm around his wife, only for them to be broken apart by the beeping of the oven timer indicating the cookies were done. Ruby woke up instantly, jumping up and down, ready for her treat. Yang came running into the room, begging to be allowed to pull the cookies out of the oven. 

Tai laughed from the sidelines as Summer helped Yang pull the cookies out of the oven. The protective mitten Yang wore could fit both of her hands inside it, but the young girl was careful and set them down on the stove top to cool. 

Ruby tried to grab one immediately, but Summer stopped her by scooping her up in her arms and carrying her out of the room.

"But mommy, we made the cookies so that I can eat them," Ruby pouted, giving her most convincing puppy dog eyes. It took all of Summer's strength to say no and remind Ruby that the cookies need to cool down first.  

Finally, the cookies were ready to eat. Tai got out the milk and the four of them sat at the kitchen table, eating and hanging out as a family.

Once the cookies were all eaten, which didn't take long, Ruby and Yang ran over to Summer and wrapped themselves around her torso, hugging her with all their might. 

"Thank you mommy for making cookies with me!" Ruby said.

"Thanks mom for today," Yang said. 

Summer smiled, a single tear of joy ran down her cheek, which she quickly wiped away. She was so grateful to have these two lovely girls as her daughters. She made a mental note to never leave them, she couldn't wait to see the type of women they would grow up to be. 

Together, they sat around, playing video games and enjoying each other's company as a family. Summer thought it was the best mother's day a mom could ever ask for.