2.

❝ She was a wild, wicked slip of a girl. She burned too bright for this world. ❞ - Emily Bronte

══════════════════

"Be on your best behavior. I mean it."

I was tempted to roll my eyes at my father's stern voice, but refrained. He had been even more uptight ever since he agreed to host the council meeting. Our pack security was already at an all-time high due to the threat of human attacks, but the council made it worse. There was too much tension and toxic masculinity surrounding all of the leaders, and to have all that energy in one place is suffocating. 

"Don't worry, I'll play nice." I joke, feigning innocence. "It's Sawyer that you'll have to worry about. He's the troublemaker." 

Sawyer nudges his shoulder into my own, scoffing at my comment. "Yes, you know me. Always stirring up trouble." 

"I'm being serious." My father's voice is strained, putting emphasis on every word. He usually humored Sawyer and I's childish behavior more, but today was not the day. "They're arriving tomorrow. As the hosts, we will greet them with Beta Ty's family. There can be no silly games."

I know the jab at 'silly games' is directed towards me. His biggest critique has always been that I am too relaxed when it comes to serious situations. Sue me, I'm a nineteen year old girl with a war-driven mastermind as my father. Sorry that I like to ease the tension sometimes. 

Our mother saves us from having to defend ourselves, placing a warm hand on his shoulder. "Don't worry, sweetie. Everything will be fine tomorrow."

There is a beat of silence before he responds, "I pray to the Goddess that it is."

══════════════════

I struggled to fall asleep last night, twisting and turning in silk sheets. The glow of the moon escaped through my ajar window, drowning the room in the light. It felt like the Goddess was teasing me, keeping me up at night with her presence. She wouldn't let sleep find me no matter how hard I tried.

When dawn broke and the warmth of the rising sun roar her head, I remained restless and dry-eyed. 

An unsettling feeling remained in the pit of my stomach. When we were children, we used to take supernatural educational classes with other children in our pack. There are certain witches that have studied the unwavering connection the werewolf species have to the Moon Goddess. Many believe that she makes her presence known in times of need - whether it be for guidance, support, or to warn you of danger. 

I hate to admit it, but I worry about which one I may be facing. 

══════════════════

"Do you think they'll all come?" Sawyer's voice is a hushed whisper from next to me. We stand side-by-side, keeping our eyes trained forward to the now open gates leading towards the pack house. 

It was just nearing noon, meaning the council members were due to start arriving at any moment. The pack members were ordered to stay away from the pack house, sheltering at home for the day until all the councilmen were screened and settled in. The only people that littered the front lawn were warrior wolves for protection, ourselves, and Beta Ty's family. 

I was genuinely surprised when I saw the petite little girl on Beta June's hip. It was customary for invited guests to be greeted by the Alpha and Beta's family, but Sophie is only four. I would have thought they'd leave her at the daycare, away from the potentially dangerous men walking onto our property. 

"They have to all come." I finally answer, ripping myself away from my curious thoughts. "Council meetings only happen if everyone shows up."

From next to me, I can feel him shrug his shoulders in indifference. "Well, yes, technically. But, this is obviously a special circumstance. I wouldn't be surprised if someone refused to come. Not everyone wants to get involved in a war with the humans." 

"Refusing to come is admitting guilt to these people." I keep my voice low, not wanting to catch my father's attention from in front of us. 

I had been slick enough with my eavesdropping to know this council meeting was going to be anything but civil. The Luna from the Parity pack was stolen in the middle of the night when her mate was conveniently away at a treaty meeting. There is no doubt in the Parity pack's minds that there was false play. 

A traitor amongst our people.

Not only did the councilmen need to develop a plan to retrieve the missing Luna, but they also had to uncover this traitor and continue to defend ourselves against the humans. 

Sawyer scoffs underneath his breath, catching my attention. "Guilty people can play pretend too, Sammy." 

I hesitate for a moment, letting his words sink in. He was starting to sound paranoid already, and no one has even arrived yet. I don't need another dad 2.0 to damper the mood. I purse my lips, ready to tease him on his tense behavior but my words are prematurely caught in my throat. 

"They're here." My father's voice is soft but still heard on our trained ears. As if on cue, a black town car rolls up the hill, followed by another, and another. 

Let the games begin.

══════════════════

A/N: 5/11/20 Our little Samantha is such an adventurer. You can't tame an Aries, what can I say? Do you think she'll be getting a nice nighttime snack...or is she picking up on a ~different~ scent? 

5/15/2020: I'm posting this chapter for easy access so my peers can help me edit & revise. That being said, if you happen to stumble on this story before I've 'officially' announced it, feel free to let me know any feedback! 

6/3/2020: If you are a reader who previously came across this story, please re-read this chapter! Due to planning and plot development, I chose to re-write this chapter before posting new chapters to make sure the plot was being followed correctly. I apologize for this change up! I'm trying to take my time editing and making sure this story follows my vision, so there may be some changes during my writing :) 

If you are reading this, I would love some feedback. If you were a previous reader, I changed this chapter because the way it was previously written, our dearest Samantha didn't meet the entirety of the councilmen until nearly chapter ten - which is not the pace I am looking for. Let me know what you think!