Chapter 5

Aries walked back into the Beauxbaton carriage, thoughts rushing through his heads. He had seen his parents, the people who had tossed him with them so carelessly. A part of him, a huge part of him, wanted to scream and break something, anything. He wanted to do something that would get rid of the huge rage growing in his heart. The more practical side of him, however, reminded him that he needed to stay calm. Aries had a mission. He couldn't be distracted. He needed to win the Tournament. So many things were riding on this. He needed to win for Lena, for his mother, and for his freedom.

Aries sighed, drowning in his thoughts as he entered his room that he shared with Jacques. Not surprisingly, both Jacques and Gabrielle were waiting up for him. Though technically the part-Veela shouldn't have been in the dorm rooms so late, Gabrielle had a way of breaking rules with remarkable ease. Probably a result in being friends with me so long, Aries thought wryly to himself. Aries had never set much store in rules. It was just the way he was raised. "It's okay to break a rule," his mother used to tell him, "if you have a good reason." Most of the time, he did.

"Aries! What did Dumbledore want? He had no right to call you to his office. Madame Maxime is furious! She's filing a complaint with their Ministry!" Gabrielle ranted, her cheeks beautifully flushed. Aries had to bite back a laugh. He always thought Gabrielle looked cute angry.

"Geez, Gabrielle. Give the guy a chance to breathe," Jacques remarked from his bed. Aries noticed the same worry in Gabrielle's eyes in his. He decided to tell them what was going on.

The Greek boy sighed. "The old coot wanted to know about my mother," he said. "I told him that she was dead. Lily Potter asked for how long, and I said four years."

"Lily Potter?" Gabrielle repeated, outrage in her voice. "The Potters were there?"

Aries nodded grimly. "Yes," he confirmed. "And Sirius Black." Gabrielle noticed Aries's eyes flash from sad to angry.

"What right did they have?" she shouted. Gabrielle knew Aries's real identity, knew about the childhood he hated to talk about. She knew about the scars on his face, covered by glamours. She was one of the few people without the name Kalgarias that did. Jacques and the majority of the Beauxbaton students didn't know. Even their headmistress didn't know.

"None," Aries stated bluntly. "I agreed to go see Dumbledore because I knew it was inevitable. Hopefully now his curiosity will be satisfied. It wouldn't be good for him to start digging around."

"And the Potters?" Gabby asked.

Aries shrugged. "Who cares?" he shot back. "I'm going to bed." Jacques and Gabrielle both watched worriedly as their best friend headed to the bathroom to change. Though Jacques didn't know why the presence of the Potters his friends so much, he was still anxious for Aries. He knew his friends had a tendency to bottle everything up. Hopefully Aries would be able to come to them. He sighed. It was something to think about it the morning.

A half-hour later, Aries emerged from the bathroom to find his roommate asleep and Gabrielle gone. Rolling the eyes at the sight of a still-fully dressed Jacques, he started to unpack some of his stuff. The first thing he brought out was his pictures. There was one of him and his whole family in Greece, taken last summer. It was a picture full of activity that best summed up the Kalgariases. Another picture showed him and Lena standing in front of the Eiffel Tower. Lena was on his shoulders and smiling broadly. Aries smiled slightly at the sight of his little sister. He really did miss her. There was a picture of him, Gabrielle, and Jacques at the Delacour manor taken two years ago. Aries's favorite picture, however, was a very old one. It was of him and his mother standing in front of their house right after they had moved to France. He was smiling broadly, his messy hair being blown by the wind. His mother had her arm around him, her hair wild as always. She was smiling just as broadly as he was. She was wearing a patchwork dress with scuffed up gray boots and a pageboy cap. Aries touched the picture gently. Memories were swirling back to him...