Chapter 8

It was November 24, and all of Hogwarts was buzzing. Two 7th year Gryffindors started taking and placing bets on which champion would win. Aries was amused to hear from Gabrielle that most of the female Gryffindors had money on him. The popular Slytherin choice was Draco Malfoy. The Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs were divided between the champions, but most of the male Gryffindors will distinctly loyal to Drew Potter.

Aries wasn't nervous, not really. This was part of his job to do this. He had to do this, had to win. He wanted his freedom, wanted to be free of... No, he couldn't think about it now. He drank some juice and took a bit of his breakfast, trying to ignore the nervous looks his cousin was giving him. Iris did worry too much, he thought wryly to himself. Aires supposed that he was just lucky Athena wasn't here. Or Lena for that matter. The little girl would be terrified of the dragon and him possibly getting hurt by it. Even at seven, Lena already had a rationality, some kind of common sense, that his mother and he had never possessed. Then again, they didn't have the same fears. Lena was scared of monsters, dragons and snakes, the kind that could physically hurt you. Aries, however, was older and wise enough to know that the real monsters never left a mark that you could see. At least, not most of the time.

"Nervous?" Gabrielle asked, her face showing worried lines.

Aries shrugged. "Not really," he stated.

Jacques rolled his eyes. "Of course, you aren't. Is the great Aries Kalgarias afraid of anything?" Aries and Gabrielle just shared a look. Jacques hadn't joined their twosome until fourth year. He knew a little, but not much. He knew that Aries' mom had died in their third year and that he took care of his sister but Jacques didn't know about Aries' past. Gabrielle knew his secrets, knew he had been adopted, and knew about his real parents and the torture he'd suffered for years before his mother rescued him.

Luckily, Ana come by the table that moment. "They want us to meet in Dumbledore's office," she informed the Greek boy.

Aries raised an eyebrow but got up nonetheless. Gabrielle watched him walk out and then looked over to Iris. The girls didn't know each other that well, but they both knew Aries like the back of their hand. Gabrielle knew Iris was thinking the same thing she was. This task wasn't going to pleasant for them.

All the champions arrived in Dumbledore's office. Aries immediately saw the Potters and the Malfoys. Ana's mother was there as well and gave him a soft smile. Aries smiled back, but his heart sank. He was really all alone here. Or so he thought, until he heard a familiar squeal.

There was casual chatter amongst families. The Malfoys kept shooting the Potters dirty looks, which made Lily shift uncomfortably. Ana's family was talking in fast Russian, oblivious to any awkwardness around them. And then there was a little blur of pink running to Aries.

"Aries!" Lena shouted excitedly, running and flinging herself into her big brother's strong arms. Lena had missed Aries more than anything in the whole wide world. He was the person she loved the most. Usually Aries was home more when he went away, but he told her he had to do something im-port-ant in England for a friend because he promised. Lena didn't know what important meant, but she did know that Aries always kept his promises. "I missed you!"

Aries held onto his little sister tightly. "I missed you too, princess," he reassured the little girl, gently brushing a stray curl out of her face. "So who are you today?" he asked, referring to her sparkly pink dress under her pink coat.

"A princess!" she shouted. "Rue told me that I should be a princess cuz the commoners in England have never seen one before."

Aries let out a laugh. Ana almost jumped in surprised. She didn't know he could still laugh like that. There was a noticeable difference in the Beauxbaton champion, like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders.

What Sirius noticed most, however, was how much this little girl looked like Zana. They had the same face: nose, ears, mouth... She had Zana's beautiful hair and smile. The only thing different was the eyes. Unlike Zana's blue-green ones or even Aries's light green, the little girl had gray eyes, almost like a stormy ocean.

The little girl looked around the room with curious eyes. Her eyes landed on Dumbledore and narrowed. "That the bad man?" she asked, a small frown on her lips. Aries only nodded. "I don't like him," she decided. Aries just rolled his eyes and put Lena down. She saw Ana and immediately raced towards her.

"Ana!" the little girl shouted excitedly, giving the girl a hug.

"Hey, Lena," Ana greeted back. "You're a very pretty princess today." Lena beamed.

With Lena chatting away with Ana, Aries noticed someone else. An older man with a rugged face stepped forward. "Hey kid," he said to Aries. All the adults in the room recognized him immediately. It was Henri Frederick, the former Head of Magical Law Enforcement in Germany. He was probably the most formidable opponent to Dark wizards in Europe of his time next to Alastor Moody. Right after the war, however, he'd retired. What most didn't know (and what Sirius did) was that this man was Zana's godfather.

"Henri," Aries nodded back. "How's the devil?"

Henri let out a barking laugh. "She's the same," he stated. "Said she was going to come today."

Aries snorted. "And leave hell? She might freeze to death."

The older man gave Aries a reprimanding look. "At least she has some common sense."

Aries glared at Henri. "I have common sense," he huffed. Ana raised an eyebrow.

"And where has it been hiding all these years?" she quipped. Aries just glared at her too.

"Don't worry. It's genetic," Henri reassured him with a smirk. Aries's face darkened momentarily. The older man decided to change the subject. "You ready?" Aries just looked at him as if to say, 'When am I not?'

Dumbledore cleared his throat. "Champions, please follow Mr. Crouch to the field. Guests, Aurors Potter and Black will escort you to your seats." James stepped forward. Sirius stayed back to talk to Henri. The little girl, Lena, was following the old man, skipping and humming to herself. "Hello, Sirius," the old man said, startling the Auror.

Sirius grinned. The old man still hasn't lost it. "Hey Henri," he greeted.

Henri fixed him with a hard look. "I assume you want to ask me about the kid?" Sirius could only nod. "Can't do that." When the young man was about to argue, Henri held up a hand. "The boy doesn't trust easily, period, and he especially doesn't trust you."

Sirius looked down at his feet, remembering his last fight with Aries' mother. There had been screaming and fighting and more 'I hate you's' flung around between them than he ever thought possible, and then Zana had taken off her engagement ring and flung it at him, stating, "I guess you've made your choice. Now I'm making mine."

"How did Zana die?" he asked in a low voice, hoping that her little girl wouldn't hear this question.

Henri stopped, shutting his eyes for a second and sighing. "You'll have to ask Aries," he said, opening them.

"But!" Sirius started to protest.

"He's the one who found her," Henri stated bluntly, walking ahead of Sirius, the little girl grabbing his hand. Sirius stopped to process the words. Found?

Aries sat in the tent, his eyes wandering to the entrance. He knew the first task would be dragons. Madame Maxime had told him. Of course, Aries had already known, but he had appreciated the gesture. It appeared both Ana and Malfoy knew as well. Aries was slightly grateful that the Death Eater headmaster had told his friend. It narrowed down the list of things Aries had to do. Malfoy probably found out through his father's connections at the Ministry. Even Drew Potter hadn't looked that surprised. Aries wasn't sure who told them but knew it wasn't his parents. According to his mother, the Potters were respectable lapdogs, always doing what they were told and always following the rules. Not even willing to break them for family. Aries touched his arm self-consciously. Though his glamours were excellent, he still knew the scars were there.

"And now for our final champion, Aries Kalgarias!" Ludo Bagman roared from the stage. Aries had picked the Hungarian Horntail, the deadliest of the four dragons and his personal favorite. Ana had gotten the Chinese Fireball and had gone third. Drew Potter went first with a Swedish Short-Snout. Malfoy went second with a Common Welsh Green. Aries grabbed his wand and stepped out into the arena, taking a deep breath. It was time...