Chapter 50

19th March 2006

I toyed with my wedding ring as I sat waiting on the chaise longue. This date was important, etched into my human memory. Of course, it was one of my last as a human, but would it be one of hers?

The house was still and quiet due to the lack of residents. The only noise came from the faint tinkling of the crystal chandelier that hung in the centre of the room. Its crystals danced together as they were swayed by the infinitesimal breeze coming from the old-fashioned windows. There's no reason to keep out the cold when you can't feel it. Still, I made a mental note to let Tanya know about the draft in case she eventually chose to rent the home out, as the Denali's frequently did with their real estate. They weren't as sentimental as the Cullens when it came to their previous residences.

I looked out the window across the amber sky. It was sunset, and a beautiful one. I smiled as I imagined Edward sat in front those familiar ivory keys, playing as the sunset reflected on the top of his black grand piano. I would usually be sat right beside him, our bodies moving in time as a melody unravelled from our fingertips. But not tonight. I itched to get back to him, to our happily ever after, but I had to solve this one remaining mystery first. I had to know.

I looked once more at the sunset. I hadn't remembered it looking so spectacular. However, I supposed at the time I hadn't paid much attention. It didn't seem important, not given what was happening. Now it seems just a succession of blurring memories and heightened emotions, none of which now fit with this world. It was odd when I allowed myself to sit and think about it, the fact that I knew the people in this world as well as I've ever known them and yet I'm not the girl they knew. I am in the sense that I am me, but my experiences are different to the girl they know. I wonder sometimes if they realise. If, even with my silent mind, I sometimes give away that I'm not quite the same Sarelle they've said goodbye to so many times. That that girl is still human, still searching for them, and any minute could appear before me.

I heard the faint crackle of electricity, the noise no other vampire would look for or associate with in the same way I did. When you're a child of time that crackle of electricity called to you, even when you no longer wielded it.

I smiled at the way my body seemed to hum at the electricity, like it was greeting an old friend. On some level it was. An old, but very familiar, friend.

"Hello," I greeted as I saw her. Her blond hair settled around her shoulders as the electricity dissipated into the air. It took her a few moments to realise I had spoken and time seemed to stand still as she span around to look for the sound.

Her hazel eyes caught mine, a near mirror image of her own. Her mouth formed a surprised 'o' as she looked, her gaze widening.

I had imagined what this moment would feel like a thousand times. All those moments I lived through knowing she would live through them too. Never in the same context, or forming the same narrative, but there nonetheless. We had lived the same lives, to an extent, and yet we would be two very different creatures. We were two very different creatures. I stood here a body of stone and venom and she stood with a rose on her cheeks and supple quality that was a complete juxtaposition to my own state.

I tried to think back to my thoughts and feelings when I had jumped here all those years ago. I had been tired of the jumps, bored even. Did she feel the same now? I presumed being greeted by your vampiric self would add a little excitement to the situation, but was that the only place where our experiences differed?

"Are you OK?" I asked as she continued to stare.

She blinked and appeared to recover. "Is this real?" her voice shook slightly.

I nodded slowly as I rose from the chaise longue.

She blinked again, her eyes becoming glassy as the tears built.