42

When I opened my eyes, the room was just starting to turn the dark shade of blue that breaks through just before the sun rises

When I opened my eyes, the room was just starting to turn the dark shade of blue that breaks through just before the sun rises. Beau's small body was still wrapped around me, and for a moment, I wondered if I was still asleep. I couldn't figure out why I was awake until the blaring sound of my phone ringing.

So early in the morning only meant that one person was calling me, and I would have given just about anything to stay wrapped up with Beau instead of talking to him.

The phone continued ringing, and she stirred slightly against my chest. "Colt?" she asked sleepily, as if she, too, was in disbelief that we woke up in the same bed. I kissed the top of her head and pulled my hand from hers. She whined slightly, and I pushed on her gently so I could slide out from under her body. "It's my phone, Beautiful," I said, rubbing my eyes and yawning as I stood up.

My phone was buried deep in the pocket of the plaid pajama pants I had been wearing last night. I bent to retrieve it and stood back up, walking to her window to look out as I answered.

"Please don't tell me you need me right now," I whispered into the phone to Neil, my crew leader.

"Why are you whispering? Are you at Jamie's?" he asked, a slight chuckle to his voice.

I shook my head, as if he could hear that. When he didn't respond, I realized what I had done and responded. "No, I'm not. What do you need, Neil?"

"There's storm damage all over three counties, Caine. Did you not wake up to that God awful thunder last night?" he asked.

I pushed the curtains on her window, looking out across the field of wildflowers still wet with rain. "Yeah, I heard it," I whispered back. "But please, Neil, I don't ever ask this—..."

He was about to cut me off right as Beau called for me. "Colt?" she said, shifting the quilt on her bed to sit up and rub her eyes. I turned to look at her, and her eyes widened, looking me up and down. I realized I hadn't put my pants back on and blushed, but gave her a wink.

"Oh, shit," Neil said in my ear. She-it. He drug out the word for effect. "That's Beau," he said, matter-of-factly, "Does Jamie know where the hell you are, man?"

"Mind your own god damn business," I hissed into the phone. "But, please, Neil, I don't ever say no. I'm there every time you call."

He paused for a few seconds then responded, "You have until lunch time to get your ass in a bucket. You can have Hammond. It'll take the drive off your plate. I'll send your brother to scope it out."

"Thank you," I breathed, relieved that I didn't have to leave her just yet.

"Yeah, yeah," he answered, "Just figure out whatever this tangled web of love bullshit you have going on before you come in."

"It's always been figured out," I retorted, and then, I hung up the phone.

I tossed the phone onto the window seat and then crossed the floor back to her. I pulled the quilt back and slid into bed, pressing my chest against her back wrapping my arms around her. "I'm sorry I woke you," I whispered, kissing her hair.