54

Marry me

Marry me.

I honestly wondered for a moment if I had finally lost my mind. If I had heard him right. If he had really said that.

Marry me.

I was sitting up, raising my cheek from his chest and  wiping my face, and Jack spoke before I could form an answer.  "Hey, now, little brother, calm down," he started, placing a hand on Colton's shoulder. "No need to rush things. Welcome back."

I stared at Colton, my eyes searching for any sign that he hadn't said those two words in a delirious, delusional state. He was breathing hard, his brow furrowed. "J-Jack," he started, opening his hand slightly and beckoning me back to him with his fingers. I sat on the edge of the bed, careful not to hurt him, and reached for his hand. "Shut up," he said in a breathless whisper to Jack, his voice raspy and quiet.

He looked back at me. "Marry me, B-Beautiful."

I felt my mouth hanging open, shock taking over my facial expression.

"Am..am I dead?" he asked. 

I couldn't help but laugh to keep from crying. "No," I answered, tears of joy running down my cheeks, "No. You're very much alive."

He tried his best to smirk, but the expression was distorted. I could tell it took more effort than he had at the moment.  "Oh, well, then, marry me."

I stared down at him. Jack threw up his hands where he stood and rolled his eyes, then walked toward the door, I assumed to find a doctor. He muttered something about his own damn brother waking up from a coma and the first thing he says to him is "Shut up". I smirked, then.

"Colt," I started, reaching forward to press my palm against his cheek. "Do you know what you're saying?  You just got out of an engagement. You just woke up from a coma, for God's sake."

He turned his head ever so slightly, grimacing slightly as he did, to press his cheek further into my hand.

"Y-yes, I know..." he stopped to take some deep breaths. "I know what I'm asking. Beautiful, I know. I know that I've been in love with you since the day I met you. And I know I..." he paused again, taking a deep, shaky breath. His pulse rate was increasing according to the monitor beside his bed. "I almost died," he continued.  "And you were the last thought before I blacked out. It's always been you. Marry me."

The monitor was beeping now, sounding an alarm that brought the nurse running in. He was surprised to see Colton awake, and he immediately left again to find a doctor.

"Don't make me ask again," Colton continued, looking up at me. "You're my forever.  If I die tomorrow, I want to know you're my forever."

I finally nodded.

"Yes. Yes, I'll marry you," I answered. "Yes. Forever."

I leaned back down and pressed my head to his chest against, listening to the beat of his racing heart. Within minutes, the doctor on staff for the night came in and checked Colton over. His checked his reflexes and vital signs. He assured us that Dr. Addington would be pleased on his morning rounds, but reminded us that visiting hours were over.