Chapter 22

Nathan suggested a picnic by the lake, not too far away from town. The weather over the weekend was forecast to be warm. But, again, she needed to be home before dark. Ruby wore her cosy red polka dot dress and white trainers with her hair half tied up. She'd been waiting for the sun to arrive, so her naked legs were free from wearing tights. She skips her way to the shop and says hello to Thomas.

'He's in the kitchen. You can go in the back.' He tells her.

Ruby enters the kitchen, where the stainless steel appliances and counters catch the light from the large window on the opposite side of the room. With their organized trollies and trays stashed with many chocolate moulds, Thomas and Nathan had put in a lot of effort this morning.

Nathan's broad shoulders and back are visible, and she can see him carefully filling in each of the tiny chocolates with a piping bag of pink frosting. Ruby crept up behind him and put her hands over his eyes.

'Guess who?' She flirts.

He smiles from the familiar voice that warms his heart and grabs her hands while he turns around.

'The most beautiful girl in the world.' He kisses her. 'I'm sorry, I'm not done. I overslept, and I need to finish these - I'll be done soon.'

'Let me help you.' Ruby searched for a spare apron.

'No, health and safety and that.'

'You know I'm not going to listen.' She teasingly said while tying the apron around her waist.

'My gosh, you are. ..' Nathan picks up some flour on the counter with his index finger, '...stubborn.' And it leaves a white mark on Ruby's nose.

She gasps with a grin. 'That's not fair.'

Ruby notices the flour and attempts to stretch past him, but he grabs her by the waist and tickles her. She grabbed a handful and tried to throw it at his face, but Nathan turned her around just in time. He slipped and fell, taking Ruby with him, and they laughed as they lay next to each other.

'What's going here?' Thomas observes as he notices them both coated in flour on the floor.

'Ruby wants to help, but I told her no, and of course, she doesn't listen.' Nathan playfully spoke and helped her with standing up.

'I don't see it as a problem.' Thomas says, and Ruby sticks her tongue out at Nathan. 'Let's show her what we do it.'

Nathan demonstrated how to create the creamy filling and mix all of the flavours. She remained calm and patient when following their orders—using her strength to avoid overfilling the mould and overpowering the milky cocoa flavour. Nathan's love for her grows as he patiently watches her and compliments her technique. Ruby's eyes twinkle with delight and the sexual tension she feels when he's close by, and she can't wait to kiss him again.

Thomas observes them both and recalls fond memories of him and his late wife, Mary-Anne, preparing the same way. The glint in Nathan's eyes, which Thomas has not seen in a long time, has given him optimism that his son will do this with Ruby.

Once the preparation was complete, Nathan assisted his father in loading all of the heavy trays into the oven. After, he watches Ruby as she completes the final set that she helped build, giving him goosebumps.

'Do you think mum would have loved her?' He asks Thomas, and it's the first time he's heard Nathan speak so passionately about his mother.

'Yeah, she would of.' Thomas responds, giving him a pat on the back.

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

They eventually left and rode on his bike to the perfect spot. He parks and hoists himself off his motorcycle while removing his helmet. Nathan prevents Ruby from lifting herself off the bike, unclips, pulls her helmet, and kisses her. His hands were on her cheeks, as he had been waiting to show his love towards Ruby. Her compassion excites her, and she tugs on the sides of his t-shirt, wishing their bodies were pressed against one other.