Chapter Five

For some reason, I kept thinking of the next day as my last aboard the Enterprise. I knew it wasn't, knew I was not actually going down to the planet's surface and much less staying there, but the idea of arriving at Sandor seemed to mark the end of my brief passage aboard the Enterprise. The past day had been a wonderful but brief vacation from worrying about Sandor.

So when morning came earlier than I would have liked, I wasn't thinking back to the pleasures of yesterday but ahead to my return to my home world. Before I knew it, the computer was delivering its wake-up call and then Will was knocking at the door on his way to the Bridge.

"We're almost to Sandor," he told me. "You ready?"

"Yes," I lied. I tied back my hair, now blonde again, and straightened my shirt. For some reason, it was important that I look the best I could. "Okay." I nodded to him. "Lead the way."

Will started for the door, but stopped just before it opened. I stopped short just before bumping into him. He stood still for a second before turning around. I waited expectantly.

"Tasha, even if this doesn't work out, we all know you're doing your best."

"You know, saying that just makes me feel like it's not gonna work," I laughed. "But, thanks." I was so close, I had to look straight up at him. I moved to step back, but he placed his hand on my elbow.

"I really appreciate you helping us out. I know it can't be easy, leaving home like you did and just following us out here."

"I'm helping out a friend," I said, laughing at Will's sudden sincerity. "You'd do the same for me."

"Yeah, I would," Will answered, no trace of laughter in his voice. "And..." He petered out. I glanced down at his hand where it still rested on my arm as if forgotten and then up into his eyes again.

"Will, is something wrong?" I asked. I didn't always get him, exactly, but he was acting very strangely.

"No. I'm just...glad you're back." Before I could react, Will leaned across the foot that separated us and gently pressed his lips against mine. I stood stock still for a second before pulling back and stepping away. His arm fell limply at his side.

"Woah, what....What was...Why...What was that?" I stuttered.

"I'm sorry, I..."

"You just kissed me."

"Well...yeah."

"Why?"

Will glanced distractedly around my quarters. "Hey, I'm sorry. Forget about it." He stepped toward the door and it swung open as it detected him.

"No, Will, hang on." I grabbed his arm and pulled him back inside. More, I pulled on his arm and he decided to follow my lead. "What's this about?"

Will looked uncomfortable. I might have been, but all I felt at the moment was confusion.

"I missed you."

"And I missed you too. But I never..."

"I couldn't stop thinking about you," Will cut in. "After you left, I missed seeing you everyday. About that night..."

I felt myself start to blush and I looked down at my feet.

"Nothing happened that night. We just kissed, but that was it."

"I know..." Will petered out again.

"Why didn't you say anything?" I asked, not knowing what to say but knowing I had to force out something for Will's sake.

"I didn't think it was anything, but after you left..."

"I'm sorr—"

"It's not your fault," Will interrupted. "I didn't know if you...I had to try it." He rubbed his beard. "I'm sorry if this hurts things," he said. "I want you as a friend, but if you—"