Eavsedropping

Ben is your best friend's twin brother who you have been crushing on for a heartbreaking amount of time now. It was almost impossible to not close the distance between you two while Emma fell asleep during movie night. Or to hold him a little tighter and a little longer when he hugs you goodbye. Until one fateful night...

  As you waltzed into the Cook house you knew you would instantly be greeted by Jill in the kitchen making some sort of snack and that Glenn would be in the living room editing photos with a movie on in the background. 

  It was your typical Saturday routine: you would go over to the Cook's around 4, wake Emma up from her nap, help Jill with dinner, family dinner night, and then you, Emma, and Ben would disappear to the basement for movie night. It had been this way since you had gotten your driver's license a year ago. Occasionally you and Emma would go out for a drive and watch the sunset while blasting 'Tongue Tied' and 'Ribs', dancing along the shore in bliss. 

  Tonight was just like any other. Jill brought you into a huge hug, Glenn shouted a quick, 'hello', as you dashed up the stairs. Emma was knocked out and dead to the world, but you decided to just sit with her a moment. Looking up at the twinkle lights and the tapestry on her ceiling you began to ramble. "Em, I know you're probably not going to hear any of this, actually I really hope you don't, but I think I'm in love with Ben. I'm talking heartache as I watch your house in my review, sparks as I hear him call out my name from the living room. The kind of butterflies that make me sick to my stomach. I.... I am such an idiot," you said as you realized you were talking to your best friend who was asleep about how totally starstruck in love you were with her brother. 

  Thankfully Emma hadn't heard a single word and your night felt like there was still some normalcy. Like you hadn't just poured your heart and soul out revealing your inner deepest darkest secret and feelings. Dinner was street tacos so it was pretty much a free for all in the kitchen as everybody scrambled making their tacos. Once the taco making fest had settled you realized the layout of the table was wrong. Jill and Glenn were at the two ends of the table, their usual seats, you were in your normal seat, but tonight instead of Emma being across from you it was...Ben. This was weird. You weren't going to complain though, considering every time you looked up you got to see his smile, his eyes, his curls. It was hard to tell if it was his cologne you were smelling or if the warmth was just from the general bliss in the air. 

  Once the cleaning crew had swept through the kitchen, it looked as good as new. You were pretty proud of the job you did on the counters and winked at your reflection as Emma laughed at you. "Hey hey now, no need to laugh, I know you're just jealous you could never clean the counters like this," you said poking Emma in the side causing her to flinch. 

  "I mean she does have a point Em, I look forward to my favorite child coming and making this kitchen shine the way it does," Jill said pulling you in for a hug as Emma stood there, jaw agape. 

  "Hey now, we all know I'm the favorite here," Ben said, barging his way to the fridge. My God that kid could eat anyone out of house and home. 

  "Not if you keep eating everything in sight even after I just made a wonderful meal," Jill said, giving Ben her best attempt at a death stare. There wasn't a scary bone in her body, but that woman would go to her grave trying. 

  "Even if he didn't eat everything, we all know I'm definitely the favorite AND the most talented," Emma said skipping off out of the kitchen. 

  "And I guess that's my cue," you said heading up to Emma's room to collect your favorite blanket. Tonight was definitely a drive night now it was just all about a game of rock paper scissors to see who had to drive.