𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 09.

━ 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘆 𝗵𝗼𝗺𝗲.

𝐈 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐈𝐍 the front seat of the van as the sun began to set.

The boat ride back to the docks had been a whirl of emotions, for starters. Kiara had asked what we'd found, only to then later see Jj pull out a wad of cash and a thick black gun. Her and Pope let their jaws drop, and I simply stared at the ground of the boat, as John B drove and steered through the maze, that they called "the marsh". I felt somewhat embarrassed, that I'd let him steal something from my own grandfather's motel.

John B and Jj explained everything that happened in the room, from finding the secret safe, to finding the money, and hiding from the cops outside the window, all while I stared out at the water.

The rest of the ride had consisted of me sitting at the front, my arms along the top rim, staring out at the water passing by, while the four teenagers chatted behind me and discussed matters that I didn't understand, and, that I wasn't apart of. The wind brushed through my hair as the boat swam faster, and I loved the feeling, a small smile on my lips as we drifted through the wind. It was amazing, and I caught myself wishing it hadn't ended.

Then, the boat returned to the docks, and I was faced with the aftermath of the hurricane, which I had forgotten about. It was much better than when we'd passed it earlier in the day, but large wood pieces still remained scattered in the water. There was many more people, a lot cleaning up, most talking and shouting to one another at the front desk of the building, and others washing off their boats.

The boat we were in had stopped by a dock, which wasn't as badly ruined, and all four teenagers jumped out, as Pope tied the rope to a metal post. I was the last to get out, and I caught myself secretly bidding a farewell to it, saying goodbye as the first boat I'd ever been in.

Until I had stepped onto the dock, it never dawned on me that the adventure was supposed to be my one and only time hanging out with these teenagers. As John B had said it, and made it clear for that matter, "I save your ass, and you save mine. Then we're done, and you don't have to look at my face ever again." I didn't believe him at first, but as we walked down the dock and away from the water, I started to.

The five of us had climbed back into the van, and John B drove us off. Nobody really talked as the radio played softly in the background, while we drifted past streets of large houses. It was something different. With the radio playing, John B tapping the steering wheel as I sat beside him in the front seat, it felt like I'd been friends with them all my life. And I liked the feeling.

    The van eventually stopped at a beautiful large house, and I looked into the rear view mirror to see Kiara standing up. She hopped out of the van as everyone said casual goodbyes, even me. She smiled on her way into her nice house.

Then, we had traveled a long journey back to the cut, as they called it, and dropped off Pope. The three boys talked about something I wasn't part of, chatting the whole way. At that point, I was starting to get anxious at how long it was taking to get home.

"Bye, Charlotte," Jj had turned his head to me and winked, at his turn to leave. I awkwardly smiled, just to give him something, and looked away at his house.

John B rolled his eyes and laughed lightly, starting to drive the car on a different road. We were then driving on an empty street, with stray branches and leaves covering the road in front of us.

"So, you made sure to drop everyone off before me," I started off slow, pretending like I was not comprehending, "do you want me to get in trouble?" I said, turning my head to him as I spoke with attitude.