Chapter Eleven

© 2020 just_cait_here

"Deep Talks and Family Stuff."
•••

Kenya POV

I was going soft.

This wasn't good. Not at all.

I knew Makoa was a good influence on me. Ugh. And the worst part is after that kiss...
Well, I sorta wanted to kiss him again.

But I knew better than to try, after how he reacted last time.
I mean, I completely understood.
There was no way in hell I was his type and than there was that tiny little detail of my immortality and never being able to settle down or stay with him through old age and shit.

It's not like he was my type either. I liked the fun ones, who would be up to whatever meaningless crap I had cooked up to go do, or would be good with a little game of Dare or Dare.
Makoa wasn't that type.
So he wasn't my type.

Than why was he so.... so magnetic?
I was drawn to him like a moth to a light.

I needed to hurry up and find his sister.
The sooner I got away from him the better.
I didn't want a replay of the 1940s if I could avoid it. After that little incident I decided relationships weren't, and never would be for me.

Once again I got the urge to feel where the gash had appeared in my head.
When I had felt the warm blood on my fingers... my heart had skipped a beat.
It gave me so much hope that finally, finally I could end this all.
But of course it hadn't worked.

For the first hundred or so years of living I had wondered why the witch would ever consider immortality to be a curse.
Than I began to realize just how terrible it was, but determined to turn the jinx into a blessing I made the most of it.
But how much longer can I keep this up before I go batshit crazy?

Maybe I should do what Sir William said. Move into headquarters, befriend other immortals. But there was just something about the mortals. The way they lived was so much different, everything moved so quickly, adrenaline in every step.

I'm sure to them it didn't seem like it, but their lives were so fleeting when put into perspective.
Which made every little decision, every little bump in the road so impactful, whether they realized it or not.

"Kenya! Watch where you're going!" Makoa yelped.

I blinked, swerving to avoid a dead skunk in the middle of the road.
"Oops, my bad. I was thinking."

"Amazing, what a rare event! How blessed I am to have witnessed it!" Makoa says sarcastically, popping open a tube of Pringles.

"Gimme some," I reach my hand out, wiggling my fingers expectantly.

"Fineee," he places a stack of the chips in my hand. I smile, dumping them onto my lap and popping one into my mouth.
"So," I start, chip crums going everywhere, "tell me about yourself, kid. I've told you a bunch about me, I deserve to learn more 'bout you."

"Like what?" He looks at me suspiciously.

"Just about your family, your school, any drama." I wiggle my eyebrows.

He rolls his eyes. "You already know about my little sister. It's me, my dad, and her. Basically all there is to know about my fam."

"Lies. I fricking told you I was burned at a stake. Trust goes both ways my dude."

"Yeah and I don't exactly trust you..."

"Ouch." I say in a joking tone. But if I'm being honest that kinda hurt.
Did I really come across so brash, so reckless? Ah, who am I kidding?
Of course I did.
That was kinda my whole thing, how I kept myself safe. Guess it really worked, wow.