Chapter Thriteen

© 2020 just_cait_here

"Candy Canes and Respectful Ladies."
•••

Koa POV

I woke up with Kenya curled tightly into a ball, nestled against my side.
She looked so peaceful, her sides slowly rising and falling, a look of calm on her face.

It was amazing how beautiful she was when she wasn't yelling at me.

I slowly got up from the bed, as to not disturb her, and checked the clock. Breakfast would be over soon... but I couldn't bring myself to wake her.

I sighed, slipping sneakers on, splashing water on my face, and trying (probably failing) to do something with my wild mass of wavy bed hair.

When I walked by the front desk I noticed the dude from last night was nowhere to be seen.
Instead an elderly lady was there, talking peaceably to some customers.
I would be happy if I never saw that guy from yesterday ever again. Something about him didn't sit right.

I grabbed two plates, loading them with sausage, bacon, eggs, those little yogurt cups, waffles, bagels, and muffins. When it came to Kenya I figured it was best just to grab everything.

I also got two cups of coffee and some juice, tediously heading back to our room, struggling to balance everything.
Thankfully I didn't have to open the door, because Kenya threw it open before I could even knock.

Her hair was more of a mess than mine (and that's saying something), but her eyes were bright.
"You are a lifesaver, Makoa Whatever-Your-Middle-Name-Is... shoot. I don't even know your last name."

"And I don't know yours," I reply with a wink, setting the plates on the table.

Kenya descends upon the stuff like a ravenous beast. All I can manage to grab for myself is a bagel with some cream cheese and a single sausage link.

Eh, I wasn't that hungry anyway.

"I'm gonna feed the cat and take a shower, than we can get back on the road." Kenya says, skipping off.

Wow, that girl really likes skipping. For a sixteen thousand year old girl she acts like she is... well, six.

I shake my head and quickly pull on a fresh pair of clothes before bringing our dishes back to the kitchen.
When I return to the room Kenya has already showered. When she actually wants to be productive she does a surprisingly good job of it.

I notice her hair is a little bit lighter than before... more auburn shining through the brunette. It looks beautiful.

"Time to get our butt's moving, hot— Makoa! If my suspicions are correct we are only a few hours away from where I suspect the 'super secret lane immortal's base' to be."

A few hours.... a few hours from finding Kenya!

I suppress a huge grin. We are so close...

•••

Kenya POV

"That's it. I'm starving." I announce, my stomach growing for the third time in the past hour.

Makoa sighs. "If I let you grab something do you promise to stop complaining?"

"No promises."

Looking extremely put off he nods, "You can stop for food," under his breath he adds, "even though we're so close..."