Chapter One:

I watched as Dick tried to separate Dirty Steve and Chavez from fighting. They fight like immature boys at times. Charlie, who was standing beside me, and I were laughing at the site. "Danny why don't you go down there and go Mama Bear on them?" Charlie asked as Dick is almost bucked off his horse "It looks like Dick isn't having any luck!" I laughed and tucked my long dark brown hair behind my ear. "Nah! This is very funny to watch." I said as I notice a wagon coming our way. "Pawpaw is home!" Charlie and I started to head to him when we notice a young boy on the back part. "Danny you best get inside till Mr. Tunstall or any of us get you." "Right" I went inside to fix supper up. Twenty minutes Pawpaw came in smiling brightly at me. "Hopefully, you have made enough for nine people Danny!" Pawpaw said as he hung his jacket. I turned around smiling as I nodded. "Yes sir! I have enough to feed an army as always!" I said as I walked over and hugged him. We walked over and looked at all the food I made. "I saw that we have a new boy here!" I said as I placed the last bit of food on table. "His name is William H. Bonney. Why don't you go out there and introduce yourself to him?" Pawpaw said. I have a hard time making friends since I am mixed. The regulators were the only friends I had because they didn't care bout my color. Chavez understood what I dealt with as a child. I walked out to see Charlie talking to him. Charlie always wanted to act tough in front of the newbies but really, he is a sweetheart. I rested my head on Charlie's shoulder, which startled both boys. Billy's blue eyes widen in surprise as he looks at me. "You are a girl!" He said as I smirked. "Duh. What made you realize that? My boobs? My girlish features?" I asked as Charlie chuckled. "Sorry ma'am! I'm William H. Bonney but they call me Billy." He said tilting his hat a little. I smiled and said, "The name's Danielle Ross but call me Danny. I hear you say Danielle I'll skin ya alive!" He gulped and nods. "Why are you here?" "Mr. Tunstall is a family friend and he is like my grandfather so I call him Pawpaw." He smiled. "REGULATORS!" We hear Dick yell making Billy stand up. "Hey boy! You ain't no regulator! You stay here with the pork they are smarter than you any! You might learn something." Charlie said as he ran off. Billy slumped his shoulders in defeat and said, "Smartass". "How hold are you Billy? I am the youngest here, so I want to see who is the oldest between us." I said and he looks up at me. "Well I am barely 16 Danny." He said and I squealed in happiness. "I will be 18 in August!" I said as he looked up at me. "I'll be your new best friend Billy! The youngest got to stick together!" He smiled. "Come on Billy supper is done but you could use some soap and water." We laugh as we walked inside.

It's time to eat and Mama had just got here. We all were at the table eating and talking. I sat between Billy and Doc and across in between Chavez and Charlie. Charlie and Dirty Steve had just got done hacking on Billy. They got told by Pawpaw that they did the dishes for the night to relive me of my duties. "So, Billy rumor has it that you killed a man." Dick asked making Steve laugh. "Yeah Billy why did you kill him?" Steve asked as he took a bite of a chicken leg. "He was hacking on me." Billy said as his eyes looked at Steve making Steve gulp down his whole bite of chicken. Everyone but those two laughed. "Well looks like Danielle has someone to do her studies with don't you think John?" My mother said making me clear my throat. "My name is Danny Mama." I said everyone froze. This was a usual thing for me and Mama. Ever since Papa died, she refused to call me Danny since that's what Papa's nickname was for me. "Danielle is the name I gave you." "Danny is the name my fath-" "YOUR FATHER IS DEAD! WE ARE LEAVING!" I slammed my fork down and stormed to the wagon.

We got home and I went inside of course Mama followed me. "Danielle Ross what is wrong with you?!" Mama said as I started to pack my bag with my books, pencils, and some clothes. The rest of my stuff was at Pawpaw's ranch. "Mama ever since Papa died you have went crazy! I can't take it anymore!" I said as I brushed past her. Her blue eyes went a blazing. "Listen here girl! You are seventeen years old! The age to be married! Now I have agreed with Mr. Murphy for you to marry one of his ranch helpers. You need to settle down! Stop acting like a savage like those regulators!" Mama said as she grabbed my arm yanking me back. "DON'T YOU EVER CALL THEM SAVAGES! AT LEAST THEY GAVE A DAMN WHEN I NEEDED YOU THE MOST! DON'T EVER CALL YOURSELF MY MOTHER! I WON'T MARRY ANY MAN OF MURPHY'S! I WILL MARRY WHEN I AM READY TO SOMEONE I LOVE!" I screamed at her angry at what I just heard. The next thing I knew was a popping sound and my head turning. Mama had just slapped me. I looked at her in shock as her dark brown hair fell in her face. "You will show me some respect and you will marry one of Murphy's men! He is a good man who wants to help us! Not like those regulators and John!" Mama said. I yanked my arm away from her with tears running down my face. My right cheek stung from her hit. "Have you forgotten what he did to Papa! How he shot Papa in cold blood!" I screamed. "Your father was a damn fool Danielle!" Mama said and that's when I punched her making her fall back. "I'm leaving Mama and I ain't coming back." I said stepping outside saddling my horse Star. Mama came outside storming mad. "Don't you ever come back here then girl! You are just like your father! You should've died with him!" Mama said. The wind began to pick up making my hair go everywhere. I looked up angrily making Mama step back. I picked up the reins. "Mama maybe I should've! At least Papa is away from a evil bitch like you!" I said as I made Star run from the ranch. I started to cry as Star headed to Pawpaw's ranch.