Chapter 1: Princess of the maatani

In ancient Rome, courtesans occupied a really unique place in society -- as the only women allowed in many men-only spaces, they were educated, politically active, and influential in a way that wasn't possible for most women at the time. A daughter of a former chieftain of Gaul, Mishaella was captured by Caesar's forces years ago. Now that she has risen to move as an equal among the senators and elite of Rome, she must seek her vengeance on the men who massacred her tribe, search for her scattered family, and perhaps find unexpected love in a city where everyone is an enemy. Good luck.

Courtesans of Rome takes place in a historical time period with different views on violence, slavery, mistreatment of women and animal sacrifice these and other mature themes will be explored reader discretion is advised.

The year is 50  BCE. The roman republic is the most powerful nation in the world, and Julius Ceaser is waging campaign to concur your home the land of the maatani. Tonight Mishaella will make her debut as a courtesan and entertainer in Rome at a party hosted by senator Cassius longinus.

Mishaella approached the lavish marble villa she was supposed to perform at tonight, and knock at the door.

Smile....... be charming ...........and never let them know you want all of them ....dead. She told her self.

She flashed an award winning smile and swung the door open.

A hush fell over the crowd of tog clad patrician noble men. The body guard withdraws to the shadows, her vilicia Lena, gestured dramatically drawing all eyes

Lena had gorgeous coffee skin and her hair was braided down and draped down her glistening back in the candlelight. her face was chiseled into an oval with heavily defined features and plump pursed lips.

"Lords and officers of the senate...our most esteemed host senator Cassius longinus."belted out Lena

A tall man with olive skin and deep piercing brown eyes strode into the room wearing his white toga with red fabric crossing over his broad shoulders His curly black hair dripped down his forehead in little coils.

"It is an honor to have you here" He said humbly.

Lena took no time to say something to fill up the void of silence

"Making her first appearance tonight a beauty beyond compare, blessed by the muses in all the arts,from composition to conversation..."

All eyes follow as you cross the room, taking up your cithara.

"Domina."Mishaella said as she was taught adding charm to her vice.

"beautiful"said romulous.

till then she had only heard stories of him he was shorter and more stout than they describes and his curly salt and pepper hair only managed to cover bits of his aging face.

Mishaella heard one other man say"id like a taste of that"but she simply ignored him.

Lena noticed her discomfort and quickly added

"Mishaella will now sing us the song of Diana"

As she strung the first notes, the shimmering silk and gold trim on her dress caught the fading sunlight.

Her voice poured out like a stream of milk and honey as she softly sang the song.

The crowd held their breath as her flawless voice rung out, her ivory pick pulling each rippling note from the cithra's seven strings.

She watched as the smug self satisfied faces of Rome's elite got entranced by her singing and felt a surge of pride and contempt. Slowing the music, she stretched her arms, letting the silk of her dress ripple along her sides as she performed the first teasing movements of a dance.