Prologue

Earliest memories may die with time. But the worst could stay forever.

This is true for this particular story.

The rustle of leaves signal the appearance of small wild cats. Two furry bodies, one darkly spotted and the other russet-ginger, tumbled through the parakeet green foliage and olive colored moss and stones. The sky, covered by clouds, surround them in shadows. Mewling in delight the kits scuffled in the amber and moldy green fallen leaves. The russet she-kit leapt on top of her brother. Tumbling around they panted as they continued to race around the clearing.

As the kits stilled and gasped for breath a soft paw step hailed the arrival of a lightly spotted brown feline pushing its way through the undergrowth. The kits perked up at the she-cats appearance. They tumbled over to the larger version of themselves. They scampered under the legs of the female feline squeaking squeals of joy. Purring the older cat licked both the kits heads dropping the item that was in her jaws. Then she nosed a ball of meat that was presently lying in the moss towards the kits. Sniffing at the food with wonder, the kits started to chew on the soft flesh. Pulling off small chunks of the food they soon had their jaws full of meat.

Soon they were licking their chops after a delightful meal. The spotted kit yawned, his jaws wide showing lightly stained sharp teeth. Ear drooping, the kit sleepily blinked after stuffing himself with juicy meat, ignoring the blood splattering his paws and muzzle.

Unlike the male kit, the she-kit delicately washed her fur clean of any last trace of blood.

Padding up to her brother, the she-kit nuzzled him tiredly.

Flopping to the ground the cubs curled into a pile of reddish spotted fur that purred softly. The she-cat settling next to them as they drifted into a peaceful sleep.

The mother cat's eyes were alert and watchful. The only sign of movement was the twitch of her ears. But soon her head was drooping, her eyes slits. Resting her head on her dark brown paws.

Seconds passed, then minutes, snores emitted from the pile of cats. Peacefully the cats slept.

Then about an hour later the she-cat's head shot up, her eyes flying open.

Silence.

Fluttering leaves.

Then.

A soft humming shattered the peaceful air. The she cat leaped to her feet. Her spotted pelt ruffled.

Suddenly a small object was flying through the air. It embedded itself in the she-cats neck.

Then the wave of red began to flow.

Choking and shuttering the she-cat crumbled to the ground. She let out a coughing growl, her eye rolling up it to her head.

Her sides stilled and the breath got lost to the wind.

The kittens, now awake, let out mews of terror. Their eyes wide like amber yellow moons. They scrambled to their small paws fear and horror pulsing through them.

Crackling and snapping sticks where left in the wake of four figures. Brown, green and grey, their faces painted. Their hands held guns and a box.

Backing up the russet she-kit spiked her pelt. The spotted male kit huddled at the side of his mother. The moss and rocks a web with blood. Then the pale hands started to descend. Grabbing and lifting. The humans picked up the kits and shoved them in a dark wooden box. The last thing the young cats saw before being pinched into darkness was a lightly spotted brown body, tainted by red, being shoved into a black bag.