Part Six

Nickysha rooted herself in her den. Her head spun from sleep deprivation. The past day she had stuck in her den, pacing, a strange feeling lingering in the air. The night of meeting Abhasvara had kept her awake much longer than she hoped. Her paws had scuffed up her moss so much that it was hard to consider it a nest anymore. Now, after a long sleepless night, the sun was rising. Warm light washed shadows into her den. Nickysha felt restless dreariness fill her heart. She desperately wanted to go hunting, to feel the life of some bird flutter away under her claws. But Satsuma had brought meat to her the last day.

Growling in frustration Nickysha couldn't stand it anymore. She had to get out into the open. Nickysha never thought she would be sick of being in trees. Now she was desperate to be on the ground.

Padding to the den entrance, Nickysha started her descent to the ground. Her claws dug deep into the soft but hard wood.

Sighing in relief, Nickysha placed her paws on solid ground after a small climb later.

Finally, I can not be confined to a den anymore! Nickysha thought happily.

Turning into the light, Nickysha trotted forwards, her paws sinking into the warm sun filled grass.

Flicking her ears of Nickysha listened to the chirping of birds and rustling of the bushes.

A soft rumbling was defined, the sound of the animals drowning it out. Nickysha strained her ears, trying to discern the disturbance to the peaceful sound. Suddenly a loud clattering in the bushes broke Nickyshas concentration. The ferns waved wildly as a cat burst through.

"Nickysha!" Satsuma came skidding to a halt in front of her, "We need to hide!"

"What's' wrong!" Nickysha could hear the panic in her friend's voice.

Satsuma breath was rasping as she dropped her head in an effort to get in enough air, "They," she gasped, "They opened the gates,"

Nickysha swallowed, she knew what this meant, "We need to go now!"

Satsuma nodded, "Let's go!"

"Come to my den! Its safest there," Nickysha flicked her tail urgently, signaling Satsuma to follow.

Not giving her a chance to speak, Nickysha raced away back to her tree and den. Her mind was racing and she was mostly annoyed. Why did this have to be happening now?

"Wait, Nickysha!" Satsuma panted as she caught up, "I can't go up in a tree!"

"It's the only way!" Nickysha hissed, "if you don't like trees, then maybe the toms don't either!"

Satsuma eyes were wide with fear, "what if I fall!"

"I catch you, or you will land on your feet, Now Let's Go!" Nickysha pushed Satsuma at the tree, "clime,"

The brown she-cat dug her claws into the barkless wood, slowly she pushed herself inch by inch up the trunk, her tail waving wildly.

When she finally reached the edge of the dens entrance, her paws digging into the wood, she drew herself up and over the rim. With a sigh of relief, Nickysha bounded up the trunk and into her den.

"Not bad!" Satsuma sniffed what was once Nickysha's nest.

"We should be safe up here!" Nickysha huffed, "If anyone does come up, be ready to fight,"

Satsuma nodded nervously, her eyes wide in fear. The two cats huddled in the moss strewed den.

Finally Nickysha meowed, "Why are you guys so scared of this,"