CHAPTER 12

Caleb stood next to Jan, in a large metal building that had multiple rows of folding chairs set in the middle of the floor. His skin felt hot and prickly. His stomach felt twisted around his spine. True had been surprised to see him, and he hadn't sensed any treachery or ill will in her words, but that didn't mean Venger would feel the same way toward him. Of course, that was assuming Venger remembered their last encounter. His head had been squeezed by an RBZ, and he hadn't been in the best shape when Caleb left.

You shouldn't be here at all. They aren't going to help you. Your presence here last time got parts of their stronghold destroyed.

Caleb couldn't deny his presence had been dangerous and destructive, but he also reminded himself that the RBZs had been coming here before he'd appeared and kidnapped people—allegedly. If those stories were true—and he had no reason to believe they weren't true—he had no doubt they'd want their revenge on Dr. Maudas, and to destroy the undead giants. Especially after they found out that the doctor had turned them deliberately.

Footsteps echoed through the building, and Caleb pulled himself out of his thoughts enough to focus on Venger and Doc. Venger had no trouble staying upright as he stepped toward him, and his eyes were focused and clear. He'd pulled through whatever damage the RBZ had inflicted—and Caleb was thankful for that. Despite the fact that Venger had pulled a gun on him moments before the RBZ burst into the locker room, Caleb didn't wish Venger any ill will.

"Well, lookie here." He stopped in front of Caleb and folded his arms across his chest. "If the winds don't blow in the darnedest things."

Caleb nodded once in Venger's direction. The discomfort coursing through his body growing with each passing moment. Venger's face was expressionless. His folded arms could be viewed as an aggressive stance, but there was also a relaxed quality about it. The uncertainty troubled Caleb.

"I don't believe I've met your...friend?" He raised his eyebrows, looking toward Caleb for clarification.

Memories of their last meeting, when Caleb had emphatically denied that Samuel was his friend, ran through his mind. Venger's tone had a hint of aggression in it—or perhaps it was caution—and Caleb couldn't blame him for the sentiment.

"Yes. Friend." Jan reached out her hand. "I'm Jan."

Venger unfolded his arms and shook Jan's hand. "Venger. And this is True."

Jan released his hand and offered hers to True, who shook it curtly.

"We were hoping you could help us with something." Jan placed her hands in her back pockets. She certainly seemed to be less tense than Caleb, or anyone else, but that may have been posturing to keep everyone calm. Caleb certainly didn't feel it, but he hoped the others did.

Venger held up his hand. "We'll get to that in a moment. First, I think Caleb owes us an explanation." He nodded toward Caleb's arm. "Especially about that bite." A sly smile crossed his lips. "You never got the chance to answer my questions in the locker room."

Dang! So much for hoping he'd forgotten about that incident.

At the same time, there didn't seem to be anger or distrust in Venger's tone. It seemed almost playful, yet laced with a bit of caution.

"You sure you don't want to pull your gun on me? Just to be sure I won't cause you any harm?" Caleb couldn't resist the opportunity to get in a dig of his own.

Venger shook his head. "Not at the moment." He once again folded his arms across his chest. "But it's close if I need it." The phrase was spoken matter of factly, with no hint of threat.

Caleb snorted. "I'm sure it is." He gestured toward the chairs. "Shall we? It's a long story."

Part of Caleb's words were true, the story was long, but the other reason he wanted to sit was because his nerves were getting the better of him and he didn't think he'd have the strength to stay upright. Venger wasn't displaying any hostility, but Caleb wasn't sure that wouldn't change after he'd told his story. Plus, he worried about how they would react and view him after his narrative. True, Venger, and Doc turned chairs around so that they faced Caleb. He and Jan took a seat, and Caleb took a deep breath.