CHAPTER 14

Caleb sucked in a sharp breath and held it. The acid in his stomach churned and rose into the back of his throat. Jan's grip on his arm tightened, her fingers dug into the soft flesh of his upper arm. The blood smear was long and wide, making it impossible to have been caused by a human hand. As much as Caleb wanted to deny it, he had no doubts an RBZ had been—or still was—in the bunker.

He released the breath and gently released Jan's grip from his arm. She reluctantly let go and moved her hand to the gun that sat at her waist. The gesture was noble and brave, but it was foolish. The last thing he wanted to do was step inside the bunker. The bloodstain indicated death, and he certainly didn't want to walk headlong into it, so he absolutely didn't want Jan going in there. He pressed the car keys into her free hand.

"Get back to the Jeep and head back to Sanctuary," he whispered.

Her brow furrowed, and she stared at him hard. "What are you going to do?"

He pointed to the door. "Figure out what's going on in there."

She removed her hand from the gun and grabbed his wrist. "Not alone you're not," she hissed.

Caleb shook his head and opened his mouth to argue that she needed to get to safety—and possibly get more help—but he snapped it closed. The words would be a waste of time. They'd already wasted enough standing outside. If there were people in the bunker who needed help, they should probably get in to help them. He resolved himself to the fact that no matter what, Jan was going in with him. He hoped he could keep her safe.

"Fine. But I lead the way."

Jan responded by releasing her grip on his arm and pulling the gun out of its holster, nodding once.

Taking a deep breath, Caleb turned and stepped to the door. It was wide open, so, to reduce the chance of being spotted, he went to the side and peered in. He couldn't see anything, so he slid into the bunker. He had placed his gun in his pants, at the small of his back, but pulling it out seemed futile. If an RBZ was in there, shooting it would be a waste of bullets. If anything else occupied the room—and he hoped it didn't—they wouldn't come after him. The stench of decaying flesh, and the tang of copper, hit his nostrils as he stepped into the bunker. His mouth started watering, and the urge to taste the salty chocolate of blood coursed through him. He tensed at the thought. He had to fight the urge. He couldn't let Jan know about his monstrous tendencies.

You assume you have that much control. We both know how weak you are. Just give in. She's going to find out eventually...

Caleb pushed the thoughts from his head and narrowed his focus to the task at hand. Gray shadows covered the room, and bits of tattered clothing and skin littered the ground. Even though he couldn't tell how many, it was apparent RBZs had been in the bunker. A grunt resounded to their right, stopping both of them in their tracks. Jan raised her gun in the direction of the sound. They had just stepped into the cafeteria, so whatever had made the noise was in one of the sleeping quarters. Caleb squinted to get a better view, but it didn't help.

Several moments ticked by, filled with silence. Caleb eventually tore his gaze from the doors and stepped farther into the room. He didn't think it was safe, but standing around and waiting for danger accomplished nothing. A scrape echoed from the far end, pulling his attention to that area. Three doors lined the far wall, and Caleb realized he had no idea where they led. He may have been in the bunker numerous times, but he didn't know the layout. He hoped that oversight didn't cost he and Jan their lives. During the rising, it had always been a rule that he know where all the entrances and exits were, and what every room in the area contained. His life often depended on that knowledge. Somewhere along the way, he'd let that rule slip. Not smart. He swallowed thickly. This wasn't how he wanted to find out. In all honesty, he wanted to turn around and get back into the Jeep and pretend this whole thing hadn't happened, but he couldn't. A drive and desire, deep within, forced him to find out if anyone inside was hurt and/or needed assistance. He believed it was his humanity coming through.