One

Chapter One: What Goes Bump in The Night | Numero Uno

Damian woke when he felt the blankets move. He kept his eyes closed and decided to stay quiet. This is how it had been the past few weeks. He'd be sleeping peaceful then he'd wake up because of her.

Raven.

"Let me guess..you can't sleep, again?" He asked, eyes still closed as he heard her gasped.

"Shit, you scared the hell out of me." Attempting to calm her racing heart, she placed a hand over her chest.

"What are you doing this time-"

"Just promise you won't be mad.." She interrupted him causing him to open his eyes.

"Why would I be mad?" He asked.

"Just promise." She squeaked.

"Fine. I promise." Once he said that, the lights flickered on.

"I was practicing magic again, but I found this cool thing to do and I wanted to test it out. So I..." She sighed. "I decided to try it out..on you..Damian, I plucked your eyebrows."

"You did what to my eyebrows?" He bit his lip and ran a hand through his black hair.

"Plucked them..."

"With magic?"

"Yes, with magic."

He sighed concealing a smirk, he was proud of how much she'd been improving her powers, so if the outcome was getting his eyebrows plucked he'd endure it. "If you're going to practice magic, at least do something more worthwhile. Plucking my eyebrows isn't going to help us in battle."

"I know that. It was more so about threading, you know? I was using these spell books that I got from my mom years ago, I never opened them until a few weeks ago. Basically there is a spell and it involves threading and plucking. Threading to create paralysis on certain parts of the body and brain and plucking to create pain that's compared to a thousand needles in that singular spot. It's more of a torture method but I found it useful." She rambled a bit, picking up the spell book she had on the dresser next to her.

"So, you've been practicing on me? Not minding if I get hurt in the process..." He muttered, raising his eyebrows as he looked into her eyes.

"No, no, no..well—yes? But I only do it when you're sleeping so it's not like you feel it a majority of the time when I'm paralyzing you. Plus! I make sure I'm very careful. Which is why I'm only using the parts of your eyebrows. If I wanted it to hurt..then, I would use other parts of your body." She smirked, but didn't say anything more.

She was devious. It was almost beautifully so.

"Well, I'd rather not be a test dummy." Crossing his arms against his chest, he sighed. "At least not when I'm sleeping and left defenseless."

"I completely understand that. It's just..you're so cute when you're sleeping, I can't dare to wake you." She said so quickly before changing the subject, her cheeks growing red just as his did. "I feel like I'm stronger at night, you know, darkness and all. So I try to practice more then. At least between midnight and two a.m."

He nodded. He understood that. "Okay, how about this...we'll practice two times a week at night together whenever we aren't on patrol, how does that sound?"

"I can make do with that especially with how much I've been practicing already. Magic can be very exhausting, you know." She sighed and looking at the light switch on the wall before it flicked off.