The Death Of A Friend

She was standing there, paralyzed with fear. The man on the railing above her held one of her best friends and the dominator refused to work. Everything felt like it had happened so fast, it felt like just days ago she was sitting at the table talking to Yuki-chan and the struggles of becoming an inspector and now she's face to face with a known criminal that can't be read by the Sibyl System with no backup. Her body was shaking and she vaguely heard the man's voice but most of all she was focused on Yuki. How she screamed and the terror in her eyes, looking at Akane like a savior when in reality all she was is a newbie detective scared out of her wits. . 

The sound of metal hitting metal startled her out of her daze and she rushed forward to grab the heavy weapon. It was nothing like she had used before and it felt so unnatural compared to the dominator in her other hand. "Let Yuki go now!" She shouted, her voice sounding shaky. 

"What's wrong?" the man taunted, "if you don't hold the gun steady, you'll miss me."

Her hands were shaking so badly she could hardly aim. Truth be told she didn't even know how to aim with this thing so she just pointed and pulled the trigger. She was so shaken by the sound and kick of the first shot she didn't even take the time to adjust her aim, firing again and missing him completely in the process. And with nothing more than the sounds of the echo blast she realized she had lost one of the few friends she had. Akane dropped the bulky gun and stumbled backward, part of her wanting to run so she didn't have to bare witness to it but she would not allow that to be the last thing Yuki saw. 

"How regrettable," he said flatly. "How very regrettable Inspector Akane Tsunemori" His tone and expression was ice cold as he yanked the brunette back by her hair, exposing her neck. 

"No! Akane, help!" Yuki begged through her tears. 

"You disappointed me, so I'll have to give you a punishment." 

"Don't. Please!" Akane screamed, she felt like she was going to be sick, this couldn't be happening, none of this was supposed to turn out this way. 

"Regret your helplessness and feel despair."

She lifted the dominator up, aiming it at the man again in a desperate attempt to save Yuki. "crime coefficient 0. Not a target for enforcement action. Trigger will be locked." The device said and she felt dumbfounded. How could it not read him? "Stop!" She screamed desperately, tears welling up in her eyes. But he looked at her with his bright cold eyes and a bored expression as he put the blade to Yuki's throat, slicing a clean, deep, gash on her neck. Her friend's eyes went wide before she dropped. The handcuff on her wrist being the only thing from her completely hitting the floor. 

There was a loud, blood-curdling scream and honestly Akane didn't even realize it was her own voice until she had to gasp for air. She had dropped to her knees, holding the dominator loosely in her hands as she stared at the ground. The faint metallic tap of the blood dripping down on the walkway below her friend was the only sound to be heard. 

She sat there for who knows how long in shock. Makishima. The man who can't be judged by Sibyl… The man who plagued Kogami now had set his eyes on her. She hadn't noticed the tapping sound grew louder and out of rhythm, she didn't feel the vibration of the grates until it was too late.

"Don't fight, it's better if you don't." Came a quiet voice and she looked up to see him staring down at her, a cloth in his right hand. He bent down and placed it over her mouth and nose. In hindsight she should have fought, there were a million other things she could have done besides sit there and stare but it didn't feel real. He didn't feel real. And by the time she began to realize that this was real, her head became dizzy and she couldn't see straight. She tried to yell again but it was muffled and her arms felt like lead. Then there was nothing.