Chapter XII: May God Protect

People had started leaving the scene around Sall once they realized he had woken up and is fine. Sounds of ambulance sirens could be heard coming in the distance towards where Sall was. Apparently, he had broken a leg when fell off the bike and isn't able to stand or walk anymore. He had to be moved to a hospital as soon as possible. Pierre, Sam Evangeline and Evanka gathered around Sall, talking to him and asking him if he's feeling well. His wounds looked more severe than Sam's. Due to the accident, Sam's bike got ran over by the truck. It had slid under its wheels after they fell off and got flattened entirely. It's impossible for it to work anymore.

Jacquie kneeled over on the ground the same way she kneeled when she saw the bike girl infront of the bookstore. This time, the little girl was looking Jacquie close in the eyes with a soft smile. Jacquie was still in tears. The amount of similarity she had to Carmen, as shown on the back of her book, was beyond too much. Jacquie felt like she's staring at an entity out of this world. Aiden stood behind Jacquie and looked at the two as they conversed in sign language. Jacquie was speaking as she moved her hands for Aiden to understand what she's saying and asking.

"Who are you? What's your name?" Jacquie gave the hand signs to the little girl, trying to smile through her teary eyes to look friendly.

The little girl's hands were behind her back at first, but then she replied to Jacquie by moving her hands, saying mommy told her not to talk to strangers.

"But I'm not a stranger. We met infront of the bookstore, dear." Jacquie kept conversing.

The girl continued moving her hands, saying she was joking and that everyone there aren't strangers to her, and that she remembers who Jacquie is.

"Huh, not strangers? Maybe she thinks we're nice," she spoke loudly to Aiden before returning her attention to the girl. "You sound way too smart for your age. How old are you?"

The little girl rose an open palm, signifying she's five years old.

"This can't be Carmen, Jacquie," Aiden spoke out, making the girl oblivious to what he was saying. "Assuming we stick to the time travel theory, we gotta remember Carmen wasn't mute when she was little."

"You're right..." Jacquie turned back to look at Aiden and nodded in despair, unknowing what's going on anymore.

The ambulance finally arrived and the two male paramedics rushed towards Sall with a scoop stretcher and started carefully moving him towards the ambulance. Jacquie and Aiden closely watched as Sall and Sam got in the back. Jacquie rushed towards them, to speak to Sam. Evangeline, Evanka and Pierre stood beside each other, looking at one another in worry. Aiden watched Jacquie from the distance, wondering what she was up to. Sam and Sall had to be taken as soon as possible. The paramedics placed Sall on the bed in the back of the ambulance, then one of them rushed back to drive. The other remained to patch up Sam's wounds while they're on the way to the hospital.

"Sam," Jacquie approached from outside before the back doors got closed. "We'll follow you guys to the hospital in a cab or two. Stay by Sall's side, and make sure you two are in the same room."

He paused a little bit before replying. "Got it." Sam nodded, and started walking back inside.

Sall from inside was looking towards Jacquie. Behind her, he saw that the bike girl was taking off while Aiden's attention wasn't on her. "The girl...!"

"Huh...?" Jacquie heard Sall yell just before the ambulance doors closed and looked behind her. The bike girl had already gotten on her bike and started pedaling away from the scene. "No! Goddammit! Aiden!"

Aiden blinked and looked behind him, realizing it was too late. "Oh, dammit."

Evangeline, Evanka and Pierre have all facepalmed at the same second.