The All Mighty Neptune

Virgil- 5, Remus- 8

Virgil always liked taking walks in the woods behind his house. His father didn't know about these outings, and to be honest, Virgil was too scared to tell him.

One day Virgil was going out just like normal, hopping up on the stone next to the gate, unlocking said gate, pushing it open, walking though, and closed it on his way out. He then started walking down the path he had worn out with his countless trips. About half way through his walk Virgil stopped when he heard shuffling from some nearby bushes.

Nervous, but curious Virgil waited for the bushes to stop shuffling, what appearing out of the brush surprising. A black horse stepped out, leaves and sticks tangled in their mane and tail.

"Hi, what're you doing out here?" Virgil asked, holding his hand out for the horse.

The horse extended its neck to sniff the boy's hand before nickering softly and placing its soft muzzle into Virgil's palm. The boy giggled as its black whispered tickled his hand.

"Are you lost?"

The horse snorted, shaking its head and pawing at the dirt.

"Well I can take care of you! You'll just have to wait here until tomorrow so I can bring you food," said the five year old, "I have to go now, but I'll see you tomorrow!"

Virgil then ran down the path back to his house.

For the next few weeks Virgil would go visit the horse, bringing carrots and apples along with a brush. The horse, who Virgil named Neptune, was very pleased with the boy, growing a deep and strong bond with him. On the third week of Virgil's visits Neptune actually followed Virgil home, something the five year old wasn't against since his father was on a quick trip and Remus was at his friend's house for the day. (His dad had called a babysitter, but they bailed last minute and the trip wouldn't be that long so Janus had Virgil stay home for the ten minutes he was gone)

Virgil got Neptune in the house and coaxed him to lay on the couch, leaving to get some more apples for his friend.

Unfortunately for them Janus had just gotten home, opening the door only a minute after Virgil left. When he saw the black pony laying on his couch Janus stopped, closer the door, opened it again to see the pony still there. He closed the door one more time just to make sure he wasn't going crazy and low-and-behold the pony was still laying on the couch, looking over at him with big brown eyes.

"Virgil?" Janus called for his son, the boy walking in with an armload of apples and carrots.

He stopped when he saw his father in the living room, a scared look making its way into his face.

"H-hi dada," Virgil said, looking worried.

"Virgil honey why is a pony laying on our couch?" asked his father, not looking angry, just. . . confused.

"H-he followed me home. I-I love Neptune dada. Please don't make him leave. He's my best friend," said Virgil, small tears appearing in the counter of his eyes.

Janus' eyes softened and he knelt in front of his son, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"I won't make him leave, but we should try to find his owner. I'm sure they're worried for him," the father said.

"No they're not. They're dead. Neptune told me," Virgil said in the most serious tone Janus ever heard from his son.

"O-okay. How about you take Neptune to your room and I'll get him some actual horse food okay. Horses shouldn't just eat apples and carrots," nervously chuckled Janus.

"Yay! Neptune to my room!" Virgil cheered, the pony sliding off the couch and following Virgil like a second shadow.

Here's Neptune

Here's Neptune. He's a 2 year old Falabella gelding who's the same size as a golden retriever. He's very intelligent and will become Virgil's mental therapy horse after Janus finds out about Virgil's massive anxiety. Clearly shown Neptune has a strong bond with Virgil, willing to do many things for his best friend. He will be in many future chapters. Let me know how you feel about Neptune.